Bestbuy 3 year extended warenty on MP# players? Anybody have any experience with this
Dec 29, 2006 at 3:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

aaroncort

Banned
I'm getting a creative zen vision:m there this afternoon and am thinking about getting the extended warranty but am not sure if it's even worth it since it doesn't cover accidental damage which is how my player will most likely bite the dust. Has anybody used this warranty here and are they good about holding to thier end of the bargin. Or do they screw you and you just waisted 60 bucks? I'm sure there are better places to ask this question but I know and trust you guys more than some random forum. Thanks, aaron.

Dec 29, 2006 at 5:31 PM Post #2 of 10
I usually dont buy extended warranties, but I did when I bought my video iPod. The price was right. ($20-$25) and it covered the batteries that everyone says will go bad. Ive only had my ipod about 6 mos. and no problems so far. Also a buddy of mine has been through 3 or 4 ipods in the last 3 years. i dont know if he is hard on them or not, but that seems pretty crazy for how much they cost.

Maybe the Creative stuff is more reliable, or maybe all of them have a short life span. I'd probably still get the warranty considering its pretty reasonably priced

Dec 29, 2006 at 7:09 PM Post #3 of 10
Heres what i can tell you...I always buy the service plan at best buy. Notice, its a SERVICE plan and not a replacement plan. They used to sell replacement plans. Like i said i buy them on all of my Ipods i have owned because they always come in handy. somehow my ipods always break.

Something to know with the service plan is that they have the ability to send your mp3 player back to the company to get it fixed. so you might be without your m for several weeks(happening to my brother as we speak).

Another thing to consider is SAMs i dont know if you have any close but they are very loose on their plans. if you bring in your m and it doesnt work and you have the replacement plan then they will take your old one and just give you a new one with no questions...but i dont even know if they sell zen there.

Best of luck to you! New stuff is always fun!

Dec 30, 2006 at 10:33 AM Post #4 of 10
They dont have replacement at best buy anymore? Well cc has one, but its expensive, I think it's sixty for one(i work there). My Zen V fell out of my pocket into a toilet bowl lol. but I mailed it for a gift card return because I got the accidental replacement protection plan. You lose the money you paid for the warranty, but they pay you pack for whatever the price of the mp3 player is
biggrin.gif
Worth my twenty bucks.

I bought a white ZVM off craigslist to put me off in the meantime. I love it btw. Just liked how my V fit on my keychain inside the ER-6i pouch.

Dec 30, 2006 at 10:40 AM Post #5 of 10
well it's always a risk, but i dont like spending 50+ for warranty that i might not use.... on a $200 product that the price will definetly go down after some time.

if u can get it for 30 and bellow get'em
if not, skip it and save ur dough for ur next purchase and just take care of them

BTW it should have manufacturer warranty free, right?

Dec 30, 2006 at 11:03 AM Post #6 of 10
I usually figure that the device is going to last for about 2 years. (The manufacturer's warranty on most electronic devices is 1 year, I figure it should last twice that.) But I am a bit of a impulsive buyer and like to keep on the bleeding edge of technology, so I usually end up replacing it with a newer device in a matter of 1-1.5 years. Therefore I usually pass up the warranty.

As for the battery replacement. Most MP3 players have relatively easy battery replacement (even iPods), you can readily get them on the internet for under 20 dollars. They take about 15 minutes to install as well (sometimes you can even buy higher capacity ones, extending your battery life further).

Dec 30, 2006 at 1:06 PM Post #7 of 10
Sweeping generalisation accepted. But it does seem like nearly all MP3 players, especially the HD DAPs break pretty easily. On an expensive player I'd get a warranty. It makes it easier to sell on if its transferrable too. If you intend changing it after 6 months then I guess theres not much point paying for it.

Dec 30, 2006 at 6:07 PM Post #8 of 10
I bought a replacement warranty for my 30 GB ZV:M at Best Buy. You should ask if they still offer replacement warranties vs. extended warranties. read the fine print.

I paid $40 for the 2-year replacement warranty on the Zen.

I recommend buying the replacement warranty as I've had good experiences at Best Buy when I needed to return an item for legitimate warranty issues...as in when the item failed to perform due to normal use and no intentional misuse on my part. As an example, I use a wet vac/carpet cleaner often and I've returned a Bissel and exchanged it for a Hoover, eventually having that unit fail(motor)...then paid $30 to renew the replacement warranty and choosing a Bissel once again.

Dec 30, 2006 at 6:56 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought a replacement warranty for my 30 GB ZV:M at Best Buy. You should ask if they still offer replacement warranties vs. extended warranties. read the fine print.

I paid $40 for the 2-year replacement warranty on the Zen.

I recommend buying the replacement warranty as I've had good experiences at Best Buy when I needed to return an item for legitimate warranty issues...as in when the item failed to perform due to normal use and no intentional misuse on my part. As an example, I use a wet vac/carpet cleaner often and I've returned a Bissel and exchanged it for a Hoover, eventually having that unit fail(motor)...then paid $30 to renew the replacement warranty and choosing a Bissel once again.

yeah i just got the 2 year as well. Even if it turns out to be a waist of money i would worry a little bit when plopping my zen into the pocket of my cardigan.

Dec 30, 2006 at 7:09 PM Post #10 of 10
I knew how how much I'd be using my Zen, which is over 4 hours per day on average. That's around 3,000 hours over a 2 year period.

I figured that there would be a good chance at failure in that time and considering that if you spend $40 it can save you about $200 if you paid full price to replace it.

Peace of mind. If my Zen dies today I can get a new one quickly, load that sucker up and be back in business ASAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back