BestBuy 100$ limit.
Apr 15, 2010 at 3:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

rohizzle121

New Head-Fier
I have a 100$ giftcard to best buy and i want to buy the best headphones i can afford for this price range. i dont mind putting another 20$ extra dolllars for the headphones. i prefer to get either on ear or over ear headphones.

would the bose be the best deal?

Apr 15, 2010 at 3:25 AM Post #3 of 20
My suggestion is to NOT use it in the store, but on their website. I know you said a max of $125, but for $129 you can get the Sennheiser HD-555. It's a $30 markup, but if you've got the gift card, then it's not a big deal I guess.

In store they usually tend to not have many expensive pairs. At least in my small city of Kalamazoo.

The 428 is the most expensive pair they carry here.

I think the 555 is the best sounding headphones you'll find at Best Buy unfortunately. Other then Ultimate Ear earphones.

I have no doubt that the 555's will sound better then any of the under $150 Bose headphones they carry.

Apr 15, 2010 at 3:37 AM Post #4 of 20
don't get the hd280 pro - first of all you can get it much cheaper elsewhere; and secondly, definitely not worth $100.

i agree with tdockweiler. if you look around the hd555 get very good reviews on this forum. you should look up some reviews and see if that's what you want. however, you can also find this cheaper elsewhere.

you might also wanna check out the koss portapro which gets very good reviews as a portable headphone, and you'll have some leftover to spend on something else.

it looks like pretty much whatever you get, you're gonna find cheaper online...

Apr 15, 2010 at 3:39 AM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by nyjets28 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it looks like pretty much whatever you get, you're gonna find cheaper online...

That's pretty much going to be universally true for Best Buy vs. online. In the case of the 280s, you should be able to nail them down for no more than $80 online; the 555s, about $100 online.

Still, it depends on your needs. For example: the 280s are closed; the 555s, open.

Apr 15, 2010 at 3:52 AM Post #7 of 20
theres good stuff at bestbuy???

Apr 15, 2010 at 3:58 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Donut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you should be able to nail them down for no more than $80 online

From 88 sellers on google products the cheapest is $93.35 after shipping excluding that retailer that has it for $80 with a required sign-up thing.

Sennheiser HD 280 Pro - headphones - Ear-cup, Binaural - Black

click on total price

So you may as well get it from Best Buy, retailers are always the most reliable.

Apr 15, 2010 at 4:13 AM Post #9 of 20
Oh goodness, this reminds me of the fact my boss gave me a Christmas present in the form of Best Buy gift cards. I still haven't used them because it feels like all I'm doing is discounting the price to a regular street price. Thank you, "Best" Buy.

Apr 15, 2010 at 4:19 AM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frequen C /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From 88 sellers on google products the cheapest is $93.35 after shipping excluding that retailer that has it for $80 with a required sign-up thing.

Sennheiser HD 280 Pro - headphones - Ear-cup, Binaural - Black

click on total price

So you may as well get it from Best Buy, retailers are always the most reliable.

Amazon has them for $86.50, and even that is a few dollars higher than what I've seen from them.

Apr 15, 2010 at 6:40 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frequen C /img/forum/go_quote.gif

and amazon.com is quite reliable as well....and let's not forget that at bestbuy you're gonna end up paying tax

Apr 15, 2010 at 9:57 AM Post #14 of 20
I agree with the HD555 or HD280 recommendation. It's a shame they have such a limited variety of headphones available, even online! But, you could do a LOT worse than the afromentioned Senns.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 15, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #15 of 20
I find it funny how people are criticizing Best Buy. As if retail markups were anything new. No store can match online prices. Best Buy does have items on sale often that are the same as online websites, but it's rare.

I remember once seeing a pair of headphones a few years ago for $100 at Best Buy. The next day they mark them up $20 and their online website still has them for $100. I ask them to price match it and they won't. What the heck? I actually went into the store expecting to see them for $100 still and buy them. They were not even on sale at that $100 price.

DVD Media at Best Buy is a joke. Like $60 for a 100 pack of DVD-R media. Are you kidding me? Luckily they sometimes have sales on 50 packs for $15.

Luckily some things are just as cheap locally if you look around. I prefer buying TVs, Hard Drives and DVD Media (on sale) locally. Hard Drives only when on sale though. Best Buy almost always has drives on sale for nearly the same price as online.

Best Buy's prices on movies and Blu-Ray discs are getting to be as bad as Barnes & Noble and that's VERY BAD. Barnes and Noble will sell you a new release Blu-Ray for $43 when it's $22 elsewhere.

EDIT: Don't forget that, even if you don't pay sales tax online, you're still required to pay in most states.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back