best x-fi config for music for my hardware?
Mar 7, 2009 at 1:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

r4tr4tr4t

Head-Fier
i created this on wrong section now i will put it here where it corresponds
hi guys im new to the forums
smily_headphones1.gif
, i just bought for my computer the ath-ad700 headphones and a creative xtrememusic sound card, i was wondering which is the recommended x-fi console config for best quality music playback, also for movies
ive heard using audio creation mode in 2.1 44.1khz and bit-matched playback + winamp asio plugin is a good combo, is this true ?

thx in advance =)

Mar 7, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #2 of 41
From my experience, X-fi sounds best in Audio Creation mode. Correct me if I am wrong, but bit matched does not matter unless you are running a digital out. However, I leave it checked as it is a good way to make sure all the distortion makers (like the crystallizer) are turned off. I do not know what to set the clock at; however, i do not think it is a big deal.

Compared to the other modes, this configuration sounds noticeably better to me.

Mar 7, 2009 at 8:07 AM Post #3 of 41
if he's using ASIO output plugin the sample rate setting won't matter as it will match itself to the samplerate of the file (provided you don't have any resampling going on with the player)

Mar 7, 2009 at 9:20 AM Post #4 of 41
Audio Creation mode - Bit exact playback.
Use ASIO or WASAPI playback.
Just leave it there, IMO. The music mode iwth CMSS3d or w/e its called will boost bass and stuff which might work well on an AD700. idk

Mar 7, 2009 at 12:10 PM Post #5 of 41
Bit-Matched is the term we're all looking for, it only matters for S/PDIF output (as it only influences the master digital clock), and if you enable ASIO, this all means much less (as you're going straight to hardware, thru the ASIO driver, in other words, you're crying so hard and so long about kmixer under XP that you're giving up functionality for no reason)

audio creation mode does NOTHING for soundstaging/imaging, and contrary to mythical belief, does not disable CMSS/EAX/SVM/Crystalizer, unless you're talking about default settings (the myth that it expands soundstage/positioning/etc, sure it does, just like the Tice Clock improves your stereo exponentially
wink.gif
)

there is no "music mode" with CMSS3d "which boosts bass and stuff", this is pure fabrication of the collective imagination of head-fi

/waits for someone to flame me for not agreeing with trendy opinions based on pure myth

now lets talk reality:
if you don't have a headphone amplifier, you want headphone mode enabled, why? because it tells your card to kick the gain up a bit, this drives the hp's a bit better, so you'll probably wanna worry about that before you get into using the card as a preamplifier with zero power amp

secondly, bit-matched/etc does squat if you're going analog, the card doesn't perform SRC unless its told to do so (no Creative board since Audigy 1 has had SRC issues (waits to get flamed for this too
wink.gif
)), so theres no problem there

thirdly, Crystalizer/CMSS/EAX/SVM sometimes "help" music, really depends on the listener (its your ears, why not play with it? who cares if trendoids don't like it), SVM is a software compresser, EAX is environmental DSP effects (like Yamaha's Scene DSP), CMSS is similar to Dolby Pro Logic/Headphone, and can do some pretty neat things with positioning and imaging (especially in games and movies, when set to headphone mode)

Crystalizer is the DSP plug-in thats likely getting the rap as "boost bass and stuff", it applies an EQ curve with some other presets (its basically Creative's in-house response to BBE), some find the effect pleasing, others don't, and it will vary track to track (just like BBE)

oh, and if you're wondering where the majority of this information comes from (at least in terms of what settings do, how to enable/disable them, etc), take a gander at your user manual, eh? (waits to get flamed for reading the user manual)

Mar 7, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #11 of 41
bitmatched.png

funny... nothing about that bit-matched option being for digital output only

help also seems to not mention anything like that

Mar 7, 2009 at 6:37 PM Post #12 of 41
necropimp: no idea what panel that is, but the user manual quite explicitly explains that the clock settings under audio creation, and master sampling rate, are for the digital output sampling rate, not internal SRC to analog

@ apatn, I currently own the following creative products:

AWE32
SB Live 24-bit
Audigy 2
Audigy 2 ZS Platinum
X-Fi Prelude

and have used in addition to that:
X-Fi Fatal1ty
X-Fi S/W
Audigy SE

I'd say I've used a bit of Creative products, wouldn't you?
wink.gif

here's my response to this thread:

"Let me not hear facts, figures, and logic
fain would I hear lore, legend, and magic."
-Donovan Leitch

since nobody will listen to the reality

Mar 7, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #13 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by necropimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
bitmatched.png

funny... nothing about that bit-matched option being for digital output only

help also seems to not mention anything like that

What drivers are you using that gives you that panel? Looks nothing like mine in Vista or how it was in XP either. I see in Vista I can set bit matched playback but not master sampling rate like I could in XP.

Mar 7, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #14 of 41
Well I don't even care.
The proper way to set your x-fi up is by what has been said here. And yes, there was a difference.
ph34r.gif

Mar 7, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #15 of 41
no idea which driver version... i'm also running XP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back