Best workout in ears, or buds?
May 31, 2012 at 10:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Minarets

500+ Head-Fier
I can't imagine buds sounding better than in ears, but what do you suggest for running and working out. I still love my AKG K81DJ for everyday use, but I have been running with those and am afraid I will ruin them.

I want the most bass/clarity possible under $50 if possible. If those even exist.

What say you?

Jun 1, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #2 of 15
I'll put a vote in for the Sennheiser PMX 680i.  I use them without any problems for everything in the gym, and ended up buying a pair for my sister in law who goes for a 10 or so mile daily jog.  They seem pretty well indestructible also and have survived rain, my gym bag, me, and pretty much everything so far.
They also hit your $50 price range dead on from Amazon.

Jun 1, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #3 of 15
I'll put a vote in for the Sennheiser PMX 680i.  I use them without any problems for everything in the gym, and ended up buying a pair for my sister in law who goes for a 10 or so mile daily jog.  They seem pretty well indestructible also and have survived rain, my gym bag, me, and pretty much everything so far.
They also hit your $50 price range dead on from Amazon.

Thanks. They sound good?

Jun 1, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #6 of 15
The JVC HA-EB75 earbuds with earhooks is only around $8. It sounds surprisingly good for the price. It seems like it is the best value in open workout earphones. While the PMX680 is probably good, it probably isn't that much better than the HA-EB75(or perhaps it isn't even better than the HA-EB75?)  to warrant its much higher price. Using IEMs or closed headphones can be dangerous in certain situations. If you feel that using an IEM is safe, then look at the JVC Riptidz. It is only around $7 and is listed as being sweat and water resistant. It sounds great considering its price. Many people have destroyed IEMs while working out due to sweat. Imo if you do want to use an IEM, consider only those listed as being sweat resistant.

Jun 1, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #7 of 15
The Sony EX310 are highly recommended because they are very crisp clear in mids, highs with great punchy bass and they surprisingly sound big. Other IEMs like JVC FX40, JVC XX series IEMs, Philips SHE9700, Panasonic HJE450 are also great buy.

Jun 3, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #9 of 15
Regular earbuds fall out while working out. They even fall out sometimes just walking around. Imo using an MX980 while working out makes no sense. Why risk a $200 earphone while working out when it can easily get damaged or broken? It will also probably fall out a number of times. The $8 JVC HA-EB75 and a $30 Sandisk Clip+ seem like the best things to use while working out. Even if you trash both of these, you won't be that upset. it makes me laugh when I think about people using a $300 mp3 player and $200 earphones when working out(one person even posted that he uses $1,000 earphones when working out).

Jun 4, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #11 of 15
The Senn 680's do sound surprisingly good.  When I really want some pumping bass I will use my Yurbuds with the Philips GoGear. Put that philips player on fullsound and let the bass rip!

Jun 4, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #12 of 15
How much better does the Sennheiser 680 sound than the $8 JVC HA-EB75? It wouldn't surprise me if the HA-EB75 sounds better. I haven't heard the Sennheiser 680.

Jun 4, 2012 at 8:30 AM Post #13 of 15
I haven't heard the JVC's, but the Senns really are pretty good.   The bass is in my opinion above par for an earbud.  Mids are pretty forward and highs are ok.  Not harsh in any way.  They are pretty detailed.  For a workout earbud and in this kind of pricerange I think they are easily among the best I have tried.  Don't expect a musical miracle, but they do make me enjoy my music while I run.  And they are very easy to drive.  You'll get a serious amount of volume out of them. 

Again...if detail isn't what you want most out of a workout but bass is....go pick up the philips gogear vibe.

I take that back:  I looked up the JVC's online and I actually did own them a while back for a couple of minutes.  I don't remember the sound so much, but I remember, I could not get them to stay in my ears properly, so I was probably losing much of the sound quality. 

Jun 6, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #14 of 15
The HA-EB75 fits me just fine. Do you have very small ears?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back