Best Wireless Router?
Jan 8, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #16 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmotron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2 on the WRT54

I have been using mine for around 3 years now with no issues. The default firmware is alright, but, since it is such a popular router, there are many alternatives.

Same here. Mine runs problem free.

Jan 10, 2008 at 7:58 AM Post #17 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Everyone always recommends 802.11G routers for some reason. Don't listen. No matter how nice tweakable firmware is, you want N, unless you also want to keep around a spare Ethernet cable for transferring large files and doing backups. There is a huge speed difference between G and N.

The problem with N is the format hasnt even been finalized yet. And when it does get standardized there is no garuantee that current N devices will meet the eventuall final "N" standards.

Jan 10, 2008 at 8:22 AM Post #18 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blood Simple /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The problem with N is the format hasnt even been finalized yet. And when it does get standardized there is no garuantee that current N devices will meet the eventuall final "N" standards.

This is nonsense. Changes since version 2.0 of the proposed standard, drafted more than a year ago and passed roughly a year ago, have been extremely minor. All the major manufacturers' routers work together now. There's no reason at all to suspect that they won't continue to work with future devices. All manufacturers are shipping devices with upgradeable firmware.

People only recommend 802.11G routers because it's what they have or because they like to repeat stuff they hear like "the standard isn't finalized" without thinking about it. It's silly. Routers are the only area on Head-Fi where people consistently recommend obsolete technology. It's no fun transferring downloaded movies across a network or doing large backups with 802.11G. If you're going to spend the money now, get something that's not already obsolete, so you won't be shelling out more money next year.

Jan 10, 2008 at 8:47 AM Post #19 of 41
The "best" router is the one that suit your current environment.

If u have a bunch of 802.11G clients, are u going to upgrade all to N?

I have a cheapo $20 bux Airlink. In 2 years, I reset it maybe twice and that's. It's on 24x7.

Jan 10, 2008 at 10:23 AM Post #20 of 41
I've never had problems with my D-Link DI-624

Jan 10, 2008 at 11:47 AM Post #21 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
People only recommend 802.11G routers because it's what they have or because they like to repeat stuff they hear like "the standard isn't finalized" without thinking about it. It's silly. Routers are the only area on Head-Fi where people consistently recommend obsolete technology. It's no fun transferring downloaded movies across a network or doing large backups with 802.11G. If you're going to spend the money now, get something that's not already obsolete, so you won't be shelling out more money next year.

Nah, I was looking to get N awhile back.. but decided that the money that would've been used to buy the adaptors would do better good put towards an Enzo Ferrari or something.. Standardised -> becomes the norm -> lower prices. Until then, wireless G is still the most cost efficient choice.

..Okay fine I admit it, I don't know how much it costs where you live. USB wireless N adaptors cost about 3 times more than the equivalent G here. How much do they cost there?

Jan 10, 2008 at 4:29 PM Post #22 of 41
"Best" is a strong word!
But I find the Apple AirPort Express to be an excellent WLAN router. I've had mine for 4 years, and it have not failed me a single time so far.

Its 100% stable!
biggrin.gif

Jan 11, 2008 at 3:22 AM Post #23 of 41
I don't have a recommendation for "the best" router but I have one to avoid, the D-LINK WBR-2310. The router reboots itself all the time even with the latest firmware... Flashing it with the DI-624 firmware helps but still not that great. I've had better luck with Netgear and Linksys products.

Jan 11, 2008 at 3:25 AM Post #24 of 41
Whatever you do, don't get a D-Link DI-624! I have had two of them die on me. I have finally learned my lesson. I now have a Linksys WRT54G and have had no problems (so far).

Jan 11, 2008 at 4:10 AM Post #25 of 41
I've had very good experiences using several Linksys WRT54Gs. Currently I'm running DD-WRT firmware which suits my needs very well. Whether gaming or downloading, this router keeps up and I don't have to reboot it very often.

I have no need to transfer large files or require wireless access 3 blocks away, so the G standard is perfectly fine for me. If I ever come across the need, I may upgrade to N after it is a finalized product and drops in price. Both of which will require more time.

I cannot recommend "the best" router out there, probably because there isn't one.. but there are many good ones to choose from that should suit your needs.

Ask yourself some questions to find out what product will work best for you. Do you need high data speeds to transfer large files between multiple computers? Do you require extended wireless range? E.G. Access through 3 floors in the basement or out in the workshop in the backyard. What about security? Do you need a product that will do enterprise level encryption or VPN pass-through? Perhaps all you need is simple, reliable access for web-surfing and some light gaming.

Answering these questions should help in the decision making process. I also recommend visiting some hardware review sites to get an idea of whats decent and whats rubbish.

~Z

Feb 17, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #28 of 41
I used to use a WRT54 but have upgraded to a Belkin Pre-N. Contrary to what previous posters have said, I have had no problems with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back