Best wireless headphones for Movies/Gaming on the TV (£500/$800)
Sep 23, 2014 at 10:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Robbo

New Head-Fier
I want some new headphones for use with the TV. They need to be wireless, I don't want wires really.

I've narrowed it down to:

1. Sony MDR-HW700DS
  2. Sennheiser RS 220

Now, firstly, closed is preferable, but not essential. The Sony's are closed, the Senn's are open.

It's my understanding that the RS 220 is the king of wireless headphones when it comes to music, if I was mainly listening to music, I'd get them. But, I'm not. I'll be watching TV/movies and gaming with the headphones, which is where the HW700DS sounds like it might be a better option? It seems pretty well reviewed... I like the idea of immersive surround sound in a pair of headphones, it'll work better for me than a genuine setup, as I can't really have it belting out loud.

Lastly, it'll need to be wired to the TV and the PS4, mainly. I don't have any specific audio equipment. Am I right in thinking the base station for both of these headphones (or the HDMI switching box in the case of the Sony) has a DAC, or similar, built in? I've seen people say the RS 220 has, but I've not seen the words DAC used in reference to the Sony. My TV just has a standard analog 3.5mm audio out (which cuts the speakers - not a big issue), and a digital audio out, the square connector with a flap (I think) - I assume that will all work fine with either?

Has anyone tried both of these? Is there any reason I shouldn't get the Sony, given it's actually specifically designed for what I'll be using it for? Any advice? Cheers.

Sep 23, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #2 of 3
Nobody tried the MDR-HW700DS?
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back