Best wireless headphone?
Jun 19, 2006 at 1:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Liver

500+ Head-Fier
Gents,

What is the best or best value for wireless headphones today?

I see several on AudioCubes and was wondering what your opinions were.

Pioneer? AKG? Audio Technica? Or JVC?

I need the Dolby decoding, this is pretty much strictly for movies and console gaming.

The threads I have read make some comments, but doesn't seem like many posts were made after they bought their respective headphones. Wanted to read some first hand informattion. So yea, I did search first.
biggrin.gif

Thanks

Jun 19, 2006 at 10:13 PM Post #2 of 6
I'm not sure if I'm supposed to reply here, not being a gent and all, but you may want to take a look at this thread over at AVForums: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194397
I'm listening to music on the Philips SBCHD1500U as we "speak", and it sounds just like a wired headphone. It's a kinda strange sensation to have the room speaker sound follow you around when moving about the house, using Dolby Headphone. It works great with DVDs, too -- the surround sound staging is impressive.
There are some disadvantages too, though -- these headphones are quite heavy, and may require some bending of the headband, and stretching of the headband springs, to achieve a comfortable fit. Also, the build quality leaves something to be desired, especially on the older non-U version, sometimes causing the ear pieces to snap off at the swivel joints.

Ellen

Jun 20, 2006 at 2:05 PM Post #3 of 6
how about gentle people!

wll good reviews on the Philips and the Pioneer. Most head to head compare Philips 1500 to the Pioneer 800, not the 1000 or th 2000 model.

Is that a big deal? I don't know. I will assume improvements have been made, but am not entirely sure.

Since both headphones are hard to come by in the US (Pioneer 2000's), harder still to make a comparison. Especially since Pioneer uses incompressible digital and Philips uses RF. Both with very good strengths. One of my questions is in a downtown environment with 900mhz phones everywhere, what "hiss" or degradation can you hear with the Philips?

I think I am just going to buy one and enjoy it.

Jun 20, 2006 at 2:28 PM Post #4 of 6
AFAIK, the Pioneer 800 is supposed to be newer and better than the 1000.
As for hiss and degradation with the Philips, I don't notice any. Like I said, it sounds just like a wired headphone. BTW, Philips uses digital transmission, too, like Pioneer. The difference is that Pioneer uses IR, so it needs line of sight, whereas Philips uses RF (with Dynamic Bit Allocation, as they call it, "for improved detail"), and has a range of about 100 meters/300 feet.

Ellen

Jun 20, 2006 at 10:50 PM Post #5 of 6
FWIW My Sennheiser RS136s (RF) are unusable in my urban apartment. I live only 2 floors from the top of the building and there's virtually every known cell transponder and dish type up there. Taxis are endlessly bleeding outside their frequencies and the interference is intolerable.

I can tell that I'll love these once I move somewhere suburban, but in the mean time I'm SOL. I don't like the line-of-sight limitations of IR so I'm sticking to wired for now.

Jun 21, 2006 at 3:59 AM Post #6 of 6
talking about sound quality, I believe still Sennhieser IS850 stays at the top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back