Best Wired, IEM HeadSET (with Mic) with noise-isolation NOT for iPhone - but for everything else (esp. Android)
Mar 23, 2012 at 3:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

halcyon

Headphoneus Supremus
Have been trying to find this for two years, and i can't understand why it's not on the market:

- IEMs (not buds, not over the ears, not half-way inserts)
 - wired (not bluetooth, no batteries, but perfect sound quality)
 - headset that comes with a Mic (i.e. can be used for making calls)
 - Mic that is noise/wind protected and doesn't start white noise barrage when you walk in slight wind
 - Good sound quality (i.e. basic $30 buds made in some obscure factory with crappy dynamics are out of the question)
 - Good isolation (20+ dB is good enough)
 - inline Answer / volume control buttons that just work
 - Foam tips available (the silicone tips just don't work for me and neither do for a lot of other people)
 - replaceable cables (I don't want to pay $300 and up for a headphone that needs to be replaced when the cable breaks)
 - NOT iPhone compatible! Needs to be compatible with the rest of the world, which includes 80% of the phones sold out there, which are not iPhones. All major androids, WP phones, etc. Absolutely do NOT want to go through the iPhone<->other phones headset adapter route (been trying that for two years and hate it).

I mean really. There are about 1000000 headsets for iPhones, but only one Jays, one Phonak, one UE and one Klipsch model for Androids?

That selection isn't very staggering, nor are the particular headset IEMS anywhere near the best available in terms of sound quality, mic quality, sturdiness and other features.

What's the issue here?

Are there not any "Android/WP/Symbian/other than iPhone compatible" IEM headsets with really good sound quality and a very good microphone?

The mind boggles...

If you have found a really good IEM-headset that works with most Android phones, please do chime in.

May 25, 2012 at 7:06 AM Post #2 of 7
I'm in the same position as you. I've been searching high and low to find exactly what you've specified - even made this account to reply to you. I've browsed around head-fi and various other sites and came to the conclusion that there's pretty much no selection.

From what I've gathered, the issue is that all HTC phones are slightly different. It's not that you're looking for an android pair of headphones but a HTC pair. The reason for this is that all HTC phones are different and have different sockets for the headphones which means there's not a standard socket. Therefor manufacturers can't make a pair that is marketable to all phones which means they're less reluctant to create them.

That being said I've just decided to skip out on the mic idea altogether. Whilst I'd love to have one it's a ballache shopping around and then finding a pair you think are suitable and then the next day returning them when the mic doesn't work. Can I ask if you've done the same or have you found a pair suitable?

Sorry if this is a bit long winded, just spent the past 3 hours searching for various in line mics and gave up!

Jun 22, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #3 of 7
Android manufacturers should just make their jack work with the iPhone way to of doing it.  It isn't that complicated.

As far as noise cancelling goes, it would be better to let the phone do that.  For good noise cancelling you really need more than one microphone.  When you plug a headset into an iPhone, and are on a call, it turns on the mic on the handset too to monitor the ambient noise, so that it can do noise cancelling.  This is an ideal solution as the mic on headset is separated a good deal from the one on the phone.

I just assumed that Android phones would do the same thing.  I have just had my HTC One X for a week, and have spent enough time wrestling with other stuff that I haven't investigated if this phone does it too. I was pretty disaappointed in not having my volume controls work though.

I have used many mic'd and buttoned IEM's with iPhone, and a handful with my HOX. Of the Senn's (can't remember which about $100), Klipch, S4i's, Beats (entry level ones), Ety's, Beyerdynamic MMX 101 iE, and  many cheapies.  The MMX 101's are my favourite sounding.  But the Beats had by far the best mic. People often asked me if I had bought a new phone.

The answer button should work on all android phones AFAIK.  I doubt the volume buttons will, but it is generally easier to use vol rocker on phone anyway.

~S

Dec 29, 2012 at 6:18 AM Post #5 of 7
HF2 has really lots of issues with broken cables / remote based on what I hear. Considering what kind of torture mobile phone headsets go through, let's just say I'm not convinced.

I bought and tried Phonak PFE 022. Sound quality decent for the price, can get foam tips (great), but the microphone quality is sorely lacking.

The hunt continues.

Feb 20, 2014 at 12:58 AM Post #6 of 7
Had Audeo Phonak PFE 112 for a year, but finally the right side driver gave in.

So, time for a new one.

Bought Sennheiser MM70S (not mm70i) and while it works ok, the sound is warm (too much bass though) and works with Android, the fit is terrible. Time for comply foams. Unfortunately these will not fit with P-100 series (the best, most isolating complys). Also, the length of the cable is too short.

So, I'm still looking.

What is the best of current Android IEM headsets that work well with modern Samsung mobile phones. Please don't recommend iPhone compatibles with a switchover cable. Already tried that route.

Mar 5, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #7 of 7
im looking tooo.
There are these
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDMQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.soundnetwork.co.uk%2Fproduct-news%2Fdpa-launches-dfine-iem-broadcast-headset-mics%2F&ei=BLL4VK-OAc_9gwTx2IPoBw&usg=AFQjCNGashGb-lQJLPZ99fsOssZe6kihOg&sig2=ZJRU3dr1RJ9sHvRI1-fDcg&bvm=bv.87519884,d.eXY

could make with sugru etc and mount low profile mic.I would like at least 31nrr.I think even homemade iem would do that.any thoughts?

If i had to i would buy the retail product and out fit with custum molds

Users who are viewing this thread

Back