Best Wire for IEMs
Sep 29, 2010 at 7:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

XTTX

Head-Fier
This is my first DIY attempt at anything audio. So, I'm planning on replacing my broken cables for my UE TF10's with some custom cables, but I was wondering what wire would be best for my uses with regard to the following aspects:

1. Conductor (copper vs silver, etc.)
2. Insulation (what material / do I need multiple layers)
3. Gauge

In terms of putting the wire together, should I braid it? What are some of the better techniques for making the cable?

Also, as a slight aside, does anyone know where to find the 2-pin connector that plugs into the IEMs? It appears that the pins are 0.7 mm in diameter, and I've read that D-Sub pins/ VGA pins are acceptable substitutes (I'd really like to find a proper source though).

Sep 30, 2010 at 3:56 AM Post #3 of 7
I think you can actually get "replacement" IEM cables from Sennheiser for about the same price as cheap earbuds, except you get a cable intended for their higher-end models which is nice and flexible and has been coated to nuke microphonics.

If you try this, do let me know how it works out...

Oct 1, 2010 at 6:30 PM Post #7 of 7
Making IEM cables from scratch is far from the easiest way to gain cable making experience. They will have to be both very light, flexible and un-microphonic, this is not an easy task.

Making normal headphone cables is a much more forgiving exercise, and making interconnects even more so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back