Best white IEM headphones between $30-50 (no Sony ex please)
Feb 13, 2006 at 8:27 PM Post #17 of 39
Lemme just vent a little. You've got up to $50 or so there. That is such a huge quality jump from apple earbuds, it isn't even funny. Even for $24, you could have a pair of Koss KSC 75. I'm an iPod user, have been since the beginning. But this usage of them as fashion-objects absolutely drives me up the wall. Right now, the 5G iPod is a QUALITY item, with high QUALITY sound. You paid $300 for it, right? Or at least $200?

It's not like I'm telling you to buy Grados here. I know those aren't stylish. But a KSC looks just like anyone else's headphones.

It's just such silly consumer idiocy.

Feb 13, 2006 at 9:00 PM Post #18 of 39
white headphones sound better to the untrained ear because having a different color than black makes it appear like it will sound "extraordinary"

sad but true

Feb 13, 2006 at 9:04 PM Post #19 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
Lemme just vent a little. You've got up to $50 or so there. That is such a huge quality jump from apple earbuds, it isn't even funny. Even for $24, you could have a pair of Koss KSC 75. I'm an iPod user, have been since the beginning. But this usage of them as fashion-objects absolutely drives me up the wall. Right now, the 5G iPod is a QUALITY item, with high QUALITY sound. You paid $300 for it, right? Or at least $200?

It's not like I'm telling you to buy Grados here. I know those aren't stylish. But a KSC looks just like anyone else's headphones.

Seconded.

Feb 13, 2006 at 9:06 PM Post #20 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by loopsider
white headphones sound better to the untrained ear because having a different color than black makes it appear like it will sound "extraordinary"

sad but true

Quite possible. When I first got an iPod (the first gen) I thought the earbuds were probably of a higher quality because they were a special color. Didn't take me too long to figure out that the older headphones I had were better though.

You know, now that I'm thinking about it, it's extraordinary that the iPod's sound quality has actually gotten better. If the white color of headphones is REALLY what matters, then they could quite literally repackage the same damn iPod over and over for years. I know that some of you will argue that they have, but the sound has VASTLY improved from the 4g to the 5g.

Feb 13, 2006 at 9:23 PM Post #21 of 39
Quote:

Sad to admit, but yes, the color of the earbuds plays a factor (and probably for some too), so I'll accept the flame. I also prefer white sneakers over black sneakers even if the black sneakers can make me up 1 foot higher.
smily_headphones1.gif
I got a white 5g 60gb for X'mas, so naturally I want something that matches my new toy. In this case consumer idiocy would be if I run out and get the first pair of white earbuds, but I'm asking for suggestions if there are any good quality ones out there for around $50. I applogize if I offended anyone....

Feb 13, 2006 at 10:01 PM Post #22 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoMoreNIU
Sad to admit, but yes, the color of the earbuds plays a factor (and probably for some too), so I'll accept the flame. I also prefer white sneakers over black sneakers even if the black sneakers can make me up 1 foot higher.
smily_headphones1.gif
I got a white 5g 60gb for X'mas, so naturally I want something that matches my new toy. In this case consumer idiocy would be if I run out and get the first pair of white earbuds, but I'm asking for suggestions if there are any good quality ones out there for around $50. I applogize if I offended anyone....

I mean, it's not like you've offended me. I live in NYC, I see people with various brands of white earbuds every day. And, I do understand that you're trying to stay within fashion boundaries while upgrading. However, consumer idiocy in this case is defined as caring enough to upgrade, but not caring enough to get decent quality for the cash. You're just going to end up buying something that will break, or sound lousy when you could have gotten something really nice that will last. Headphones, good headphones, are MADE to last.

If you want really good IEM headphones in white, some of the high end companies make a few of their IEMs in "white versions" now. If you are dead set on white earbuds, Sennheiser makes a headphone called the MX500, which you can get in white. They're better then apples, maybe $20.

I just wish you'd treat your ears a little better, y'know?

Feb 14, 2006 at 12:17 AM Post #23 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigDub
audio technica ck5 comes in white and should fit your budget.

N O means no.

Those things don't fit in the ears well enough.

Go for the JVC. I love mine. I doubt the sound is different if they're the US version.

Feb 14, 2006 at 3:28 AM Post #25 of 39
Quote:

No. No no no no. Don't even think about these. Even on the outside chance that they DO fit your ears (slim to none, with any of the tips) they have horrible, horrible muddy sound. I like the standard iBuds better than these. And that's saying a LOT.

Haha, yeah, I saw that they wanted IEM before I wrote "spray KSC 75 white." I thought it was funny...

sorry, i forgot to mention that i'd never tried them...
rolleyes.gif

I didn't really expect the SQ to be all that great, but it did meet his criteria.
white, $30-$50, and iems....

Feb 14, 2006 at 3:30 AM Post #26 of 39
Quote:

Thanks for the MX500 suggestion, but the Apple earbuds hurt my ears after awhile, so I'd like to try the in ear canal headphones.

Just curious, is this the JVC you're talking about?

JVC HA-FX55W In-Ear Earbud Headphones
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4076671

YES.

BUT! If you can wait, I suggest waiting for a bit until the JVC FX-77 comes out. It should be in AudioCubes soon.

Feb 14, 2006 at 3:39 AM Post #27 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsjong
YES.

BUT! If you can wait, I suggest waiting for a bit until the JVC FX-77 comes out. It should be in AudioCubes soon.

Wow, looks perfect!

http://hifiblog.com/past/2006/01/25/...-ear-monitors/

I was going to get the FX55 at CircuitCity tomorrow because I'm going overseas next week, so I wanted a pair of sound isolation for the plane ride. After looking at the FX77 I think I'll wait 'til I get back!

Feb 14, 2006 at 5:23 AM Post #28 of 39
Quote:

Wow, looks perfect!

http://hifiblog.com/past/2006/01/25/...-ear-monitors/

I was going to get the FX55 at CircuitCity tomorrow because I'm going overseas next week, so I wanted a pair of sound isolation for the plane ride. After looking at the FX77 I think I'll wait 'til I get back!

Well, at least consider unlocking your iPod's potential. Since your limit was around $50, if you get those for around $30, get a pair of KSC 75 with your remaining $20 so you can enjoy quality audio when nobody's around to mock your non-white earbuds.

Feb 14, 2006 at 7:09 AM Post #30 of 39
Quote:

Thanks for the MX500 suggestion, but the Apple earbuds hurt my ears after awhile, so I'd like to try the in ear canal headphones.

Just curious, is this the JVC you're talking about?

JVC HA-FX55W In-Ear Earbud Headphones
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4076671

You should have said that you wanted in-ear phones: save up for the Ety ER-6i. They were built to match the white iPod and they sound good. Just save up for them, and don't waste your money on the cheaper stuff if you want in-ear phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back