Best way to wear the Sharp MD33's?
Nov 22, 2004 at 9:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

bdshort

New Head-Fier
I just received my MD33's today. They were actually at the post office on Saturday, but unfortunately they had closed for the day half an hour before I was able to check my mail. Thus, I only had about 10 minutes to play with them during lunch. Is there a "proper" way to wear these? I noticed the right ear cord is longer than the left. Should they go into my ears with the stems pointing down, and should the cord travel over my ear, or just drop straight down from the phones? Haven't had a chance to try the larger plugs, though they sounded okay with the medium ones with the very limited listening I did. Also, my source is a Dell 700m notebook PC, and I hear the built in notebook sound chips aren't very good, so it may not be the best source for judging the quality of the phones. When I'm home tonight, I'll play around with some different CDs and DVDs, and try the larger plugs, to see what I really think. From the VERY short amount of time I've had to use them though, I'm satisfied.

Brian

Nov 22, 2004 at 10:43 PM Post #2 of 3
Another user here has reported a nice tip. Take the longer earphone and run it behind your head against the skin. Plug that ear, and the other shorter one, and create two foward loops with the excess under each ear. Take one of those small black twist-ties, and hook the far side loop to the cord junction under your chin. This keeps the wires from tugging on your ears and reduces microphonics from your clothes.

You may need to different sleeves sizes, and it is possible that one or neither will fit really quickly and easily with any of the three sleeves sizes. If you need others, the Sony EX71 type fit, as do the Sure E2 silicon (but not foam really). Also there is a triple-flanged commercial rubber ear plug that is reported to if here when modified (search).

-sf

Nov 23, 2004 at 6:57 AM Post #3 of 3
After much listening tonight, I've found that the medium sleeves work the best. These things sound really good too. There is some hiss, but I think that's probably from my source (Dell 700m).

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back