Best way to store your music: RAID 1 configuration? Who else has done it?
Dec 21, 2007 at 9:08 PM Post #47 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only thing that worries me about JBOD is that with some filesystems it's almost as bad as RAID1 if you lose the drive with the master index.

Again, one must be careful with the term JBOD. Sometimes it refers to concatenation or spanning -- in which case it would be just as risky as a RAID without any of the benefits -- but sometimes (particularly on multiple-drive enclosures) it is simply the setting to have the enclosure treat each hard drive as a separate disk.

--Chris

Dec 21, 2007 at 9:26 PM Post #48 of 79
Okay fair enough, much discussion has led me to choose what everyone has been advising me to do:

Just get another harddisk and do backups at regular intervals.

I'm looking at 500GB HDD in total storage space, by the way..

Thank you everyone.

Merry Christmas and much Head-Fi love to all of you!

smily_headphones1.gif

p/s : My responses may bear no weighting for the past few posts because I have only slept 3 hours for the past 3 days. I wonder why I can't seem to go to sleep!

Dec 22, 2007 at 5:47 AM Post #49 of 79
I have my music on a RAID 5 NAS and access it from there. For me, "user error" is not a big issue. I can't remember the last time I deleted media by mistake (I don't delete media -- am much of a packrat), much less remember when I decided to junk an entire folder with hundreds of media by mistake. I also don't see virii as a significant threat (I have not had any noticeable media data corruption virii for as long as I've used a computer). As such, the next problem is hard drive failures. I've had one hard drive fail on me before (a hard drive separate from the one I have on the NAS) but because I had my NAS, and all my media was on it, I did not lose much at all.

So, all I have to say, is that from my user experience, RAID is very good at protecting your data. How good it is, depends on YOU, as the user. Not to sound arrogant, but I simply don't make these mistakes. Maybe someday when I do make them, I'll regret it, but I have faith in myself for the time being.

The final thing I have to say is that what a lot of the guys say here is very valid in a mission-critical business situation, but for a home media server, is laughable. You can afford to make the occasional small mistake, and simply reacquire the media, if that's the case, or you can purchase another controller and rebuild the array, if the controller dies. For the home user, the downtime cost is insignificant, and the dangers of RAID are greatly greatly exaggerated. That is my opinion of it.

Dec 22, 2007 at 3:35 PM Post #52 of 79
Myabe not, but back in college I lost a hard drive full of bootlegs that I still haven't been able to fully replace. I've been taking backups a lot more seriously since then.

Dec 22, 2007 at 8:27 PM Post #53 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by cconnaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cyrilix - I couldn't have said it better! We are talking music here not a payroll system or data from Los Alamos (I hope). Yes, music is important to me and if I lost it I would be less than happy. But, I'll take the RAID 5 risk.

Your point is not a valid one precisely BECAUSE we are not talking mission-critical, enterprise solutions!

Sure, go ahead, RAID yourself silly --- but for what benefit? So you can show off your size? *Unless* you are using it for enterprise/mission-critical data, there is no benefit to the added cost/complexity/risk of a RAID.

Buy an external drive, back up to it from time to time, sleep soundly at night. Simple and cheap as that. And less risky to boot!

--Chris

Dec 23, 2007 at 2:29 AM Post #56 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by ueyteuor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
could someone explain what this raid stuff is all about?? can't you just use your hdd normally, and not use this raid stuff???

Yes, you can use your HD normally. The OP was asking if RAID is a good option. With RAID, you can combine multiple hard drives to work together in many different ways, mostly for redundancy and extra speed.

With RAID-1, both HD's write identical information to eachother. So if one HD fails, the second hard drive still has all the data in task.

Dec 23, 2007 at 2:52 AM Post #58 of 79
I dont use RAID. I have all my music backed up to DVD (FLAC, EAC logs and cue sheets included).
Generally any new CD I get I rip with EAC and stick it into my new music folder. Once I have a DVD sized amount I then move that lot into 'purgatory', where it is correctly tagged, named, album art added, etc....
It is then burnt to DVD and can then be safely moved tomy music folder.

Note this is also what I do with music that I havent ripped myself....

Dec 23, 2007 at 3:44 AM Post #60 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dont use RAID. I have all my music backed up to DVD (FLAC, EAC logs and cue sheets included).
Generally any new CD I get I rip with EAC and stick it into my new music folder. Once I have a DVD sized amount I then move that lot into 'purgatory', where it is correctly tagged, named, album art added, etc....
It is then burnt to DVD and can then be safely moved tomy music folder.

Note this is also what I do with music that I havent ripped myself....

yeah, this is what i think is the best option as well... i dont trust hdd's since they are always capable somehow of messing up, but if you burn your music onto dvd's and keep them in a save place.. you have a save and secure back-up of your treasure

Users who are viewing this thread

Back