Best Way to Spend $200?
Feb 19, 2003 at 6:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

SteveA

100+ Head-Fier
Okay gang, howsabout a little exercise.

I spend about an hour and a half each working day plus usually three hours on Saturday listening to my work system. It consists of an ancient RCA portable, multibit CDP player (weighs about 2 pounds!), a Mapletree Ear+ amplifier, a pair of Sennheiser HD600s, and a pair of Grado SR80s when I want a change of pace. This system has provided me many hours of listening pleasure and I could happily live with it as-is.

My wife is a real sweetie and likes to get me stuff for my birthday that I will use and enjoy. As I spend more time listening at work than at home, maybe when she asks what I would like for my birthday this year, I’ll request something for my work system.

Now the exercise: if we choose a realistic, albeit somewhat arbitrary limit of $200, what purchase would most enhance my listening pleasure?
- A more modern CDP (needs to be compact)
- A Clou or Cardas cable for the Sennheisers
- A Sylvania Gold Brand 5751 or other NOS driver tube for the Ear+
- A pair of Grado SR225s or other for yet another perspective
- A $200 gift certificate towards more CDs
-Any other suggestions

Nothing serious here, just a little fun on a snowy day. I welcome all responses.

Very best regards,
Steve

Feb 19, 2003 at 6:10 PM Post #2 of 12
Well if as you say can live happily with your system as is then I would say a $200 gift certificate for CD's. After all it's the music that makes the hobby worthwhile.
biggrin.gif

Feb 19, 2003 at 6:26 PM Post #3 of 12
I agree with elnero, if you are really happy with your system buy more music. But, if not...

I don't know how much the Mapletree Ear+ responds to tuberolling, but my MG Head changed noticeably with the Raytheon 5751 tube. Most, but not all, seem to agree that a cable upgrade for the Senn. also makes a noticeable change for the better.

I'd say that if you just have to upgrade go for the cable or the Sylvania tube. Of course, that's a slippery slope. You may find yourself upgrading everything else afterwards
frown.gif

Feb 19, 2003 at 10:20 PM Post #4 of 12
I know this is going to sound blasphemous but hear me out...

How about working out a deal with your wife... Forget (for the moment) spending money on more audio toys and treat yourselves to a nice dinner or weekend out together?

I'd bet that she would appreciate it greatly and reward you many times over the ~ $200 that would have gone towards music or other accoutrements. Heck, you might even get a Big O for Christmas! (for those with their noggins in the gutter, I was referring to the Orpheus)

Happy (almost) Birthday Steve!!!

Bruce

Feb 19, 2003 at 10:54 PM Post #6 of 12
Bruce:

A great idea! We did the big dinner night out for Valentine's Day and enjoyed ourselves immensely. $200 WOULD buy a pretty good dinner at our local 5 star eatery.

Funny you mention the big O. We both experienced it in Chicago a couple of years back. I, too, am referring to the Sennheiser Orpheus and it was at the Stereophile Show. I let her go first as any gentleman would and then allowed myself the pleasure. All we could do was look into each other's eyes and say "Wow!". As we basked in he afterglow, the distributor noted that it cost almost as much as the VW New Beetle on my wife's T-shirt.

Very best regards,
Steve

Feb 19, 2003 at 11:17 PM Post #7 of 12
Well, if you're hell bent on spending the cash on audio.......
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

........depending on the type of music you enjoy I'd say either the 225's (I find them to be fantastic with rock), or the cable for the Senn's.

Feb 19, 2003 at 11:24 PM Post #8 of 12
If you're going to get gear with it, i'd personally get a replacement cable (Or just build one for that matter, PM if you want instructions how to), or even an ART Di/O (A fanstastic piece of gear), but your system looks good, i'd rather just spend the money and have a night that you guys would remember for a long, long time

Mar 21, 2003 at 1:46 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by wallijonn
DAC. used, of course to get the maximum benefit.

I'm with WalliJohn on this one. New DAC, for sure...provided that your player has digital out. Otherwise, an upgraded used CD player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back