best way to spend €650, headphone+dac\amp if needed
Jan 15, 2016 at 5:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

varzyl

Head-Fier
I'm going to A\B the Fidelio X2 and the Sennheiser HD650 in the next few days, since I narrowed down my research to those 2 models (neutral\warmish open with decent bass).

If I liked X2 more, would I be wasting €350, buying a Modi2U+Vali 2 (since I've been told that X2 doesn't scale with amping)?

Are there any other <€650 headphones without expensive amp requirements (in other words, usable out of a HP out from my HT receiver) that would outperform the 2 aforementioned cans by itself?

Thank you all! ^_^

Jan 15, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #2 of 6
Originally Posted by varzyl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If I liked X2 more, would I be wasting €350, buying a Modi2U+Vali 2 (since I've been told that X2 doesn't scale with amping)?

Yes.

Are there any other <€650 headphones without expensive amp requirements (in other words, usable out of a HP out from my HT receiver) that would outperform the 2 aforementioned cans by itself?

Open-backed? Probably not. I don't know why you are attempting to limit your budget to your headphones though. 650 euros can easily get you an end-game headphone and a great amp/dac setup.

Jan 15, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #3 of 6
  I don't know why you are attempting to limit your budget to your headphones though. 650 euros can easily get you an end-game headphone and a great amp/dac setup.

That is my at disposal budget at the moment for upgrading. Wether it's spent on headphones, dac, and amp is open to multiple combinations.
I've got an old Home Theater Receiver (and a Fiio E17k that I'm going to return because I don't value it as much as it costs, compared to the dac+headphone out of said receiver).

What I'm asking is: is there an headphone in the 500-650 range with similar sound signature but better than X2\Sennheiser HD6x0?

Jan 15, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #4 of 6
You are really close to what you would need for the OPPO PM-2 i would save another 50 get that then add an amp and a dac later in that order.

Jan 15, 2016 at 6:46 PM Post #5 of 6
Let's play hypothetical value numbers (just to exemplify my reasonings):
                                              Value       Price
Fidelio X2 (HT receiver)             100          250
Fidelio X2+Modi2U+Vali2          105          600
HD650 (HT receiver)                  90           350
HD650 properly amped              110         700+

is there some open on ear headphone with warmish-neutral sound that would provide me a better value for the same money?

How would a Hifiman HE-500 or 560 perform on a HT receiver hp out, in comparison to Philips or Sennh?

Or if i found a used HE-500 for €500, I'd have something left for a Magni2U, (using the receiver DAC at first)

Jan 16, 2016 at 12:19 AM Post #6 of 6
In my experience (20 years of spending way too much on audio equipment), I've found:

(1) Transducers make a HUGE difference.
(2) Not much else does, unless designed by an idiot.
(3) YOU have to listen to the transducers.
(4) You won't know two years later you spent/never spent the extra money as long as you buy things that make you happy.

What other people say about how headphones sound is highly subjective.  What other people say about how different amps sound is usually even MORE subjective.  Now if the amp is more convenient, or looks better, or it can do more in the future (like, say, you're eyeing a pair of electrostatic headphones), or you want to try something like balanced headphones, it may be worth it to you to spend the extra on a fancier amp.  But in general, I go gonzo on the transducers first, and then only change electronics if I hear a problem, because either my hearing is worse than most people's who hang out on audio boards (so why should I care?) or they're not really hearing what they're writing.  I'm not saying they're not, I'm just saying I don't know them very well.

Don't forget to look at repairability.  A good set of cans can last you a couple of decades.  (Yes, Senn, I'm looking at you, wanting $160 for a replacement headband for my $140 headphones.)

I hope you can find a reasonably-priced combination that will satisfy you for years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back