Best way to solder two wires together?
Jan 29, 2009 at 11:11 PM Post #16 of 23
I use the Western Union joint without having being taught it, nor even knowing about it, not even the name!

It just makes complete sense, add heatshrink, job done

Jul 14, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #17 of 23
why bother soldering.... just twist the wires together
icon10.gif
peeeeow peeeeow! *holsters guns*

Jul 14, 2009 at 2:09 PM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoodySteve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you're better off crimping them together with a ferrule. That is a far stronger mechanical bond than any solder joint.

Hi,
Here's what a friend of mine showed me when I was doing some auto wiring. You take the ferrule and cut the plastic off, I use an air grinder, you just touch it a little along the side to split it open and peel the plastic off.

Then Flux and tin your wires, stick them in the Ferrule, don't krimp, just solder the ferrule.

This makes an incredible super strong, long lasting joint.

Jul 14, 2009 at 2:40 PM Post #19 of 23
Western Union Splice.

Jul 14, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #21 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
twist them together unevenly and wrap in sticky tape at a funny angle always works best for me.

Don't bother with the tape. A wire nut is much easier.
tongue.gif

Nov 14, 2010 at 3:12 AM Post #22 of 23

Quote:
One of good ways to solder 2 wires is tin to both wires first and then put them next together, melt the solder from one of them and they will stick together easily.

yes. and i'll note that the lap with 63/37 is the only solder connection that is allowed for use in submarine nuclear power (high reliability, extreme duty/condition, high standards, etc). should be the same as NASA, since much of NASA was derived from the closest thing existing at the time of its creation: submarines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back