Best way to seal UE custom cords?
Apr 3, 2007 at 2:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Jetlag

100+ Head-Fier
I just got a new cord for my UE-10 Pros, it is to replace the one that got so corroded that the right channel stopped working.

Before I begin using the new ones I thought it would be a great idea to try to seal the area where the cord enters the connector (see photos)

pair_sm.JPG

pair_close.JPG

As you can see in the close-up, it is not a water or air tight seal.

I am looking for suggestions for what sealant would work best to keep the sweat out of the connector. I'm thinking it should be somewhat flexible, be permanent and definitely be clear or at least not colored.

Suggestions?

My first thought was Testors model cement, but I think it cures hard.

Apr 3, 2007 at 2:39 AM Post #2 of 18
the stuff u use in toilets?

Apr 3, 2007 at 2:56 AM Post #4 of 18
I thought about silicone seal but I don't think it is very durable. I'm hoping for a permanent solution. I'm afraid that silicone would come off pretty easily.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyoshiro
the stuff u use in toilets?

I'm not sure what you mean but it sounds kind of scary

Apr 3, 2007 at 3:02 AM Post #5 of 18
the silicone u use in toilets
maybe u could try resin...

Apr 3, 2007 at 3:22 AM Post #7 of 18
modeling resin should be a bit flexible i believe
try http://www.hlj.com/ for hobby supplies

Apr 3, 2007 at 10:02 AM Post #8 of 18
Modeling resin can come out pretty hard, if you get the 'correct' type.

I think silicone is your best bet, however troublesome it seems. It's one of the more fluid sealing agents, and your primary aim is to seal the little crevice where the cord enters the connector.
Any extra bits that cover the cord/connector is helpful, but as you said, won't last.

Heatshrink tubing, perhaps?

Apr 3, 2007 at 10:48 AM Post #9 of 18
You can get flexible resins, I have some for repairing neoprene and I think it's more durable than silicone. Only problem with that is the yellowish colour.

Apr 3, 2007 at 11:08 AM Post #10 of 18
You might try a thick C/A glue. You can find it in most any hardware store under the ZAP brand name. It's basically Super Glue but if you get the thickest variety, it will stay in place around the plug as it dries.

Just a little dab 'ill do ya and be careful with your fingers!

Apr 3, 2007 at 2:09 PM Post #11 of 18
Is it a possibility to send it to UE to ave it sealed? It may be something they'd be willing to take care of considering you paid an arm and a leg to get your UE-10s.

Just a thought.

-T

Apr 3, 2007 at 4:15 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Heatshrink tubing, perhaps?

hmm, interseting idea
Quote:

the yellowish colour

Are we talking a gross/bright yellow? If so, it won't cut it.
Quote:

Super Glue

I thought about this, but super glue isn't really known as a sealant plus it usually creates that white crud anywhere it is used.
Quote:

It may be something they'd be willing to take care of considering you paid an arm and a leg to get your UE-10s

Not so much, I paid $0. Won them.

I emailed UE to see if they might have any recommendations. I am also going to head to the hobby store and hardware stores later today to see what I can find. Thanks for the help so far.

Apr 3, 2007 at 5:55 PM Post #13 of 18
A female friend of mine just suggested clear fingernail polish. She said it stays flexible and should be almost permanent. Whatya think? It would definitely be easy to apply.

Apr 4, 2007 at 3:54 AM Post #14 of 18
Well I think I've fixed it for now. Upon the recommendation of a friend who is a literal master of all trades, he suggested "Goop". It is waterproof, flexible, clear and permanent. I bought a small tube at Home Depot. I used a wooden coffee stirrer to carefully apply the glue. Here is a slightly blurry image of the results. In the photo above the transition from cord to connector is obvious. With the goop it is completely sealed.

pair_new.JPG

Apr 4, 2007 at 4:32 AM Post #15 of 18
Ah just finished writing a reply.. looks quite good.

And
Quote:

Not so much, I paid $0. Won them.

You lucky b******

Users who are viewing this thread

Back