Best way to RIP 100 Audio CD's FLAC
Sep 18, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #16 of 33
The check box in iTunes checks the track. If it can’t verify it, the rip fails and it doesn’t complete. It’s the same thing. It just doesn’t give you a certificate to hang on the wall.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #18 of 33
What is supposed to be on the CD. It does the same thing. It just doesn’t have an OCD assuaging name.

Sep 18, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #19 of 33
In my experience, with a used CD that was a little scuffed-up and skipped when played directly, is that both EAC and iTunes would rip it. EAC could be set to rescan the problematic area of the disc until it finally recovered all the bits, and then this was compared to dozens of other ripped CDs to validate that the rip was perfect according to AccurateRip. With iTunes set at the highest level of quality, it ripped the CD much faster and verified that it was "accurate", but I could hear clicks/pops and anomalies in the areas where the CD was skipping when the file played.

Since then, I have been using EAC or dBpoweramp to rip CDs. These options really do seem to have a better method to ensure the rip is accurate. Peace of mind counts for something to me.

Sep 18, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #20 of 33
For years I have excellent results with Poikosoft's EZ CD Audio Converter. Give it a try.
Has also a DSD converter.

Sep 18, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #21 of 33
Never once had a bad rip with iTunes. If it has a problem, it doesn’t even create a file. Generally, if I have a problem reading a disk, I use a different disk drive and that fixes it. The drive is more important than the software. The checkbox is buried in the prefs though. Easy to miss and it isn’t on by default.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2021 at 10:00 PM Post #22 of 33
Never once had a bad rip with iTunes. If it has a problem, it doesn’t even create a file. Generally, if I have a problem reading a disk, I use a different disk drive and that fixes it. The drive is more important than the software. The checkbox is buried in the prefs though. Easy to miss and it isn’t on by default.

I haven’t used iTunes to rip for some time. Have they added a feature to compare an MD5 or other file check to ensure the copy is bit perfect post conversion? I remember the local error check flag but believe that small uncorrectable errors don’t result in a failed import.

ECC only probably wouldn’t typically result in audible issues, but may also not be completely accurate. Adding the file level hash comparison would be ideal if Apple has done that.

Sep 19, 2021 at 12:01 AM Post #23 of 33
Yes. There is a verify rip checkbox. It takes twice as long to rip that way, but it’s safe.

Sep 19, 2021 at 12:42 AM Post #24 of 33
Yes. There is a verify rip checkbox. It takes twice as long to rip that way, but it’s safe.

Im guessing based on the extended time that what you’re describing is a full verify against the original read. That definitely works, but using an MD5 hash check against a database with known values avoids the time doubling to achieve the same confirmation.

That and better metadata keeps me using dbpoweramp. If I used iTunes for desktop playback, I‘d probably use it to rip as well, but since implementing Roon, iTunes is largely mothballed.

Sep 19, 2021 at 9:45 AM Post #25 of 33
I’ve ripped tens of thousands of CDs with iTunes, including damaged ones, without any errors on files. It does the job..
I ripped one new CD which I hadnt even opened before the rip, I just tore it from the pack and ripped it from Itune and though it went through process Some tracks are missing from the final ripped CD, I dont know why could be becasue the CD's are damaged ? but they havent even been opened.

The thing is the music CD's I'm trying to RIP are from my home country Sri Lanka, poor masters and poor quality CD's(physically) And I doubt most of these cd's are on what every database. No Meta data appears.

Will EAC still matter? I tunes is easier faster, But I want accuracy as I will do this once and then be done with it. even at a CD a day I will have my collection complete in less than 4 months.

Sep 19, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #26 of 33
and thank you for every one for your advice I will try both of them again and compare to see if there is a difference, specially with the tracks itunes skipped.

Sep 20, 2021 at 8:40 AM Post #27 of 33
I ripped one new CD which I hadnt even opened before the rip, I just tore it from the pack and ripped it from Itune and though it went through process Some tracks are missing from the final ripped CD, I dont know why could be becasue the CD's are damaged ? but they havent even been opened..
You are doing something wrong. If there was no error message, you must have checked some tracks off the list to rip.

Sep 20, 2021 at 9:39 AM Post #28 of 33
I ripped one new CD which I hadnt even opened before the rip, I just tore it from the pack and ripped it from Itune and though it went through process Some tracks are missing from the final ripped CD, I dont know why could be becasue the CD's are damaged ?
Possible but often it is simply a tagging error.
Most media players do think a track belongs to an album if both the [ALBUM] and [ALBUM ARTIST] tag are the same.
If you are struggling with the meta data or the [ALBUM ARTIST] tags varies (sampler!), all tracks are still there but scattered over the library.

My work flow is to rip/download to a fixed location e.g. C:\WORK\[ALBUM]
This allows me to check if all tracks are there, right meta data, etc. so I'm sure the album is not split.
When Ok, I move it to my "Library"

Sep 21, 2021 at 8:09 PM Post #29 of 33
Thanks a lot will start moving stuff to work dir check them and then move back to main library.

Sep 21, 2021 at 8:10 PM Post #30 of 33
You are doing something wrong. If there was no error message, you must have checked some tracks off the list to rip.
I didnt I'm pretty sure but i will check it again once i get home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back