Best way to record onto iPod?
Jul 16, 2008 at 4:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

funch

Headphoneus Supremus
Man, I thought figuring out women was hard, this is worse. I just got a 4G iPod from the For Sale forums with the intent to get it iMod'ed (by Vinnie or maybe DIY). This is my first foray into the digital world. I've been looking around, but can't seem to find the system to use to get the highest quality recording on an iPod.

I looked into FLAC (like I really know what that is), but as near as I can tell, it doesn't support the iPod, or vice versa. Anyway, what I really need here is to be pointed in direction so I can start learning how all this works. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jul 16, 2008 at 4:51 AM Post #2 of 11
There is this thread that's called, "Apple Lossless vs. WAV". Check it out. I say go with Apple Lossless if you have a MAC at home. The reason for it is long but if you read the thread, I think it will help.

Jul 16, 2008 at 5:10 AM Post #5 of 11
I use the itune program to rip my CDs but make sure you change the settings to apple lossless if you want the best quality. I personally find this the easiest to use.

Jul 16, 2008 at 9:04 AM Post #6 of 11
Apple Lossless (ALAC) is the obvious choice for an iPod.
* Its lossless (as the name say).
* Supported by the stock iPod firmware.
* Supported by iTunes.

Jul 16, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by omegaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use the itune program to rip my CDs but make sure you change the settings to apple lossless if you want the best quality. I personally find this the easiest to use.

Ah, easiest! My favorite.

Thanks to all who replied. I think I'm on my way.

Jul 17, 2008 at 3:51 AM Post #8 of 11
Voice of dissent, here. For a 4G, you can also try Rockbox (www.rockbox.org). It's pretty stable on a 4G. And, on a 4G color, it will even allow video playback. Plus a lot of other stuff (including FLAC). It's dual-bootable too, so you can use have both the RB and the Apple firmware. I also think the SQ is better on RB, at least to my ears.

It really depends on what you're looking to use it for - if you are hard set on ALAC + iTunes, then the standard firmware is fine. But, I think Rockbox is well worth trying.

Jul 17, 2008 at 3:57 AM Post #9 of 11
Well, I had tried the Rockbox before, but the download is a Zip file, which my computer couldn't open. So, I downloaded the trial Winzip and tried that. All I got for my troubles was a zillion useless files related to Rockbox, but no program. I'm sure I did something wrong, so I guess Rockbox is just plain out of my 'computer skills' league.

Aug 13, 2008 at 6:54 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by roebeet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry for the late reply on this - there's a GUI Rockbox installer that works for the 4G (and runs on Windows / Linux / OSX). I used it on my 4G greyscale and the install was a piece of cake.

Link: RockboxUtility < Main < TWiki

Nice!
smily_headphones1.gif

Installing Rockbox from Mac OS X have been a pain in the butt. So great to see that there are now a GUI available for the task.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back