Best way to Re-cable a pair of AKG K518DJs
Jul 24, 2013 at 6:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Rylo

New Head-Fier
Hello,

Sorry if this is in the wrong thread (please move if it is, obviously).

Basically I've got K518DJs that have had the cable cut off. Started out with just a nick in the cable (from a rolling chair) that was keeping sound from coming out of the right side, so I bought some electrical tape, which didn't work. Then I cut the nicked cable (or should I be calling it something else?) and tried to twist the severed, exposed ends together, but that didn't help either, so it's just a cable-less set of headphones at the moment.

At any rate, I'm wondering if anybody's recabled these before and if it's cost effective to do so. I bought these for $120AUD a few years back, but could probably get them on Amazon for $60, so I might be better off just getting new ones if I ever need them. I've got some DT990s on the way so there's no hurry
wink.gif

Thanks!

Jul 24, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #2 of 3
Wait so there is no cable attached to the headphones at all? how far down did you cut it? If you know how to solder it's an easy fix of just buying a cheap headphone jack ($2-3 USD) and soldering it on. Obviously this wont work if you took of 90% of the cable.

Jul 25, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #3 of 3
Quote:
Wait so there is no cable attached to the headphones at all? how far down did you cut it? If you know how to solder it's an easy fix of just buying a cheap headphone jack ($2-3 USD) and soldering it on. Obviously this wont work if you took of 90% of the cable.

Well, there is, it's just very short. Essentially what I tried to do before was twist the wires together, and that didn't fix the problem, so maybe it's something inside the earpiece. I'm probably better off using them for parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back