Best Way To Load 100's CD's onto Hardrive?
Aug 3, 2004 at 12:36 AM Post #16 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by thomaspf
My wife said no to foobar...

But I am surprised WMP does not make your bar. In what respect?

Cheers

Thomas

I don't like the interface, and it doesn't have the options I want. So call me a CS major if you want, but I hate coding, suck at it, and try to avoid it at all costs. I don't really think that you need to be an audio expert, and by no means would I consider myself an audio expert. I was one of those that held back from upgrading to Winamp3 when it came out, and pined for the simpler days, when interfaces weren't so ... flashy. You have to admit that foobar2000's interface is brutally efficient once you get used to it.

Before I switched to ogg as my primary format (for the portable), I used to use mpc, for which I could not find a WMP plugin. There is a winamp plugin (which can be used with coolplayer), foobar2000 comes with it by default, and I believe even QCD has support for it. Given the level of support musepack has received elsewhere, I would say that WMP's support is below par.

I also really hate the totally integrated environment (ripper, encoder, music + video player/library manager). I prefer small tools that work fast (sound familiar to anyone?). While you can argue that modern processors obviate the need to use efficient programs (particularly something as light as audio decoding), I don't really see that as a solution. But that's just a personal preference. You can join (some of) them together with a UI if you like (ala grip), but I don't really care for monolithic programs. Again, it's just a personal preference.

Lastly, WMP only runs on Windows. Makes it a little hard for me to use it, eh?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Radar
WMA Lossless isn't supported by any portable devices currently, and won't be for the foreseeable future. Also, the FLAC website must be out of date because Apple Lossless is supported on the iPod.

Yeah, the FLAC site isn't really that up-to-date in general. Sorry for that oversite; it not being interesting to me, I don't keep up with it very well.

Aug 3, 2004 at 1:24 AM Post #17 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skarecrow
Once again I'm glad I'm not married. Nobody tells me what to do with my toys except for me (well, ok myself, and federal copyright law).

Sometimes that's not a good thing. I will only list the one relevant issue here: my wife is the voice of reason amid chaos. Without her, I'd probably blow $975+shipping on a DAC or some other silly doo-dad
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skarecrow
WMA files may or may not have DRM crap in them right now, but what happens next time Microsoft updates WMP and it starts modifiying your files.

What?! there's something wrong with Microsoft's embrace and extend policy?! Now you're just talking nonsense, man...

Aug 3, 2004 at 5:28 AM Post #18 of 18
Well, you kind of have to put the CDs into the drive one at a time. . .

Unless you have some funky auto loading mechanism OR you have all your CDs already converted into a compressed format, or a very gullible significant other or family member who is easily biddable, software isn't going to help you any.
frown.gif

Cheers,
Geek

Users who are viewing this thread

Back