Best way to "hide"/"fix" UE's thick cables?
Mar 20, 2009 at 4:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

freedomflyer

Head-Fier
Hey everyone...I was walking on campus the other day with the ol' pod + UE SF 5 Pro's and I realized that the while the earphones themselves are monsters (which I actually like), the wires were also monsters that didn't just want to hang loose, they wanted to keep their shape.
I experimented with doing the behind-the-head style of wearing my UE's (which I do when I'm at work, doing homework, by myself, etc...) where the wire went down my back and then connected to my iPod in my pocket or case. People seem to treat me weird when they see this and so I don't usually wear it this way in public. But when I wear my headphones normally (wire hanging across my chest), the wire seems to stick out/not just drop down to my iPod. That's the only reason I enjoy stok Ipod earbuds, the wire just drops and hangs, and doesn't keep it's shape. I'd preferably like to wear the earphones behind-the-back because that is BY FAR the most easy, comfortable way of managing my wire, it's like the phones aren't even there. But I realize (somewhat stupidly) that style-wise it's not the best option in public.
What should I do!? Are there any ways of taming the cord (boiling it!? I don't know
wink.gif
) or somehow helping it just stay in place and so I don't look like an absolute moron walking around?
Thanks! A trivial question for some, but what can you do?

FFlyer

Mar 20, 2009 at 4:17 AM Post #2 of 9
get the westone ES cable :]

Mar 20, 2009 at 5:26 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

I experimented with doing the behind-the-head style of wearing my UE's (which I do when I'm at work, doing homework, by myself, etc...) where the wire went down my back and then connected to my iPod in my pocket or case. People seem to treat me weird when they see this and so I don't usually wear it this way in public.

i get the same weird looks all the time around school haha
glad i'm not the only one

Mar 20, 2009 at 6:07 AM Post #5 of 9
Holy ****, who cares. Wear them however you want, who gives a crap how others react.

It's nice to be a little older and not have to worry about this **** at all!

Mar 20, 2009 at 6:18 AM Post #6 of 9
Duct tape?

Seriously, there is no magic.

I hate stiff cables myself, not for the look, but as I turn my head, I feel the little resistance.

Mar 20, 2009 at 6:38 AM Post #8 of 9
I think its likely more in your head that people are looking at you strangely when wearing them down your back; who gives a toss anyway what they think of how you wear them. I never get any strange looks with mine (westone 3) and I wear them down my back all the time. I dont even get any strange looks with my jena SE530 extension cable. I do get some strange looks when I get my rig out sometimes; but it really doesnt bother me that much. that is one good thing about my iriver rig though; the remote means I never have to get it out on public transport; I wish apple had a remote. your only solutions that I can see are to either stop worrying about it... I mean who cares... or get an aftermarket cable.

Mar 20, 2009 at 6:48 AM Post #9 of 9
Good ideas. Yeah...actually wearing it down my back I think I look more like I know what I'm doing. Thats the thing...I'm don't hugely care if I get weird looks, but to a certain extent, EVERYONE cares about how they look to a degree. I wouldn't wear extremely short shorts (besides when I race and run my workouts morning and night) in public because general public consensus tells you not to.
But I do agree, if it contributes that much more functionality and usability then you might as well do it. I know that I'll ALWAYS have them behind the back when I'm on my laptop studying, coding, photoshopping, etc...I feel much more professional (thats what the sound-editing people do)...so I think I'll stick to that for sure.
Another thing I'm doing is ordering some Comply foam buds for my UE SF5 P's and so (hopefully) I don't have to adjust them as often in my ears...I hate having to readjust my seal, and it takes a toll on the eardrums with all of that vacuum pressure going in and out.
I've also taken to pulling up the little plastic "zipper" when I'm wearing my headphones on -the-back and so the wires don't hang out to the sides of my neck so badly. What are your guys's thoughts on running the cord through the shirt in public?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back