Best way to fix Alessandros at the Y splitter
Jul 21, 2012 at 4:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Byzanti

New Head-Fier
Hi

I've a pair of Alessandro MS-1 which have a break in the wire just above the Y split.

I'm going to need to take the Y splitter apart - from my googling I've found that one possible way to do so is to slice it in half with a knife. Is this the best way?

I'd also consider rewiring the whole thing, but I haven't been able to find a good source of replacement wires in the UK. Probably unnecessary...

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Jul 29, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #3 of 4
Return them to Allesandro with some money for a new stock cable. 

After that its all about the recabling. 
Some of the cable charlatans keep stock cables when customers send their gear in to be side-graded. Perhaps you could email them to get a new-to-you stock Grado cable. After that its simply a matter of opening the headphones, unsoldering the old cable, soldering in the new cable, and putting the strain relief (ziptie) in. 

I have never seen anyone cut the y-split thingy in half, and put it back together, got a link? 

If you cant get a stock cable I'd just go end to end. 

Jul 29, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for your advice!

I guess end to end just means, make your own cable? It seems that's possibly the best option (might also do the mini jack mod since I'll be opening up the headphones). Google turned up nothing for replacement stock cables, and sending to Alessandro in the US would be an expensive option.

Cutting the Y splitter was mentioned in the second post down on this link.

Quote:
I had a break at the Y split in my Grado SR 225 so I cut open the joint casing where the cables split , found the break , resoldered and patched up the connections with liquid electrical tape. this is my short term fix to stop the intermittent audio issue I was having.

If I'm having to redo the cables, I may as well give that a go first.

Thanks again,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back