best way to encode entire collection
Jul 9, 2006 at 5:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

CSMR

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi. I'm sure this has been asked before but I can't find anything.

I'm going to encode my lossless collection to LAME mp3 and want a way of doing this conveniently and without melting my CPU.

I have a directory of lossless music and would like a program to convert it into the same directory structure in another directory. Filenames & tags the same.

Anyone know of a program which can do this?

It will need to be done gradually over several days.

Ideally the program could be run to keep the mp3 directory up to date, so that when more music is added to the lossless directory it can be found and converted to the mp3 directory.

If there's a thread about this grateful if you could point me to it.

Jul 9, 2006 at 7:32 AM Post #2 of 10
Honestly, I would just use foobars built in converter and transcode in batches. Highlight a group of songs then right click and convert. I don't know of a way to have it auto update. Sorry. I usually just rip then transcode whenever I get a new cd.

Jul 11, 2006 at 4:48 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by CSMR
How do people with big lossless archives - there are quite a few here I believe - manage it?

Look now further than DBpoweramp, the best converter you can get.
http://www.dbpoweramp.com/

Say you try and convert a file and don't have right codec? It automatically connects to the web and downloads the right codec, no hunting for patches. IT also uses lame as its mp3 encoder.

It integrates itself into the windows right-click, it is very powerful when it comes to converting, it will perserve the file names/tags on converting.

I have a huge library of music in .ape and .flac, but I use an Ipod shuffle for the gym and my mp3 deck in my car can't play lossless, so I convert music fairly often and DBpoweramp makes it very pain free.

Jul 13, 2006 at 7:01 AM Post #6 of 10
the earlier versions of dbpoweramp have free lame mp3 encoding with no limits, i believe version 10 found here. http://www.dbpoweramp.com/bin/dMC-r10.exe
additional codecs are onlin ejust search for dbpoweramp and go to codec central

Jul 13, 2006 at 12:04 PM Post #7 of 10
I went to use dbpoweramp once but I didn't want to pay for lame mp3s. I don't understand how the program can charge for something that's free. Am I missing something?

Jul 13, 2006 at 1:11 PM Post #8 of 10
Doesn't wavpack have lossy and lossless files or something like that?

Just a thought.

Jul 13, 2006 at 2:20 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimothy
Doesn't wavpack have lossy and lossless files or something like that?

Just a thought.

Indeed. the Lossy files are the "hybrid mode" which creates a small lossy file and a "correction" file for recreating the lossless version. Pretty neat stuff if you ask me.

Jul 13, 2006 at 2:53 PM Post #10 of 10
why don't you just select a huge batch using whatever program you want and let it run while you're asleep?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back