Best way to drive Sennheiser HD 600?
Mar 19, 2016 at 10:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

vanillasnake21

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm thinking of investing some money, about $500-$550 into an audio system, and after some research decided to settle on HD600.

I have a very large electronics boutique nearby and have tried a few models including this one and they all sound very average (to me at least) without any amp. The store would not let me use one of their off the shelf amps and told me to bring my own. So at least I know that I don't like the an-uamped sound.

So now my dillema is to find an all in one solution so that I can use these headphones on the go and with my computer. However it should be considered that I will probably use them 90% at my comp and 10% on the go, so that has to weigh in my considerations.

What I have right now is a basic on-the-motherboard chip in my PC, has 5 plugs for 5.1 surround. Probably pretty weak. SO my current logical decision is to get a separate audio card, then get an on the go amp like Objective2. So I would plug the amp into the card, and then pass through to the headphone.

My main question is whether I need to do that or can I just get the amp and just plug in directly into my compter's headphone jack? Or maybe the other way around, maybe just get the audio card and not get the amp (I think some cards have amps in them), but then I would be missing out on outdoor listenting. Anyways I hope to get some advice on the best way to do this and for the least amount of money. By the way if someone has a better recommendation other then Objective2 amp, that is cheaper, I'd like to know it. Thanks.

PS. I'm doing additional research and I'd like to know if a tube amp would be better then solid state ones? Also the budget for the amp is $200 at most, would much prefer it to be in 100-125 range, so is a cheap tube amp worth getting or is it just a waste of money at that price range?

Actually never mind, I'm just going to get Phillips X2 instead, sorry can't find a way to delete thread.

Mar 20, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #2 of 6
A FiiO Q1 USB-DAC-amp might be helpful.
http://www.fiio.net/en/products/44

Mar 20, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #3 of 6
  A FiiO Q1 USB-DAC-amp might be helpful.
http://www.fiio.net/en/products/44

Has anyone actually tried the Q1 + HD600 combination? The reason I ask is that in addition to a desktop setup, I was thinking that it might be a good idea to have something to amp the HD600 from my iPhone 6 (unless it's known for sure that the HD600 doesn't need an amp with the iPhone 6... 
wink.gif
), or as a portable option for my MacBook instead of the desktop rig for when I want to go travelling. To be honest, I'd be surprised if it offered any improvement with the HD600 over straight headphone out from the iPhone, but I'd happily be convinced otherwise.

Also, anyone tried the E18? That apparently has a more powerful amp than the Q1, so might do better...

Mar 20, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #4 of 6

Has anyone actually tried the Q1 + HD600 combination? The reason I ask is that in addition to a desktop setup, I was thinking that it might be a good idea to have something to amp the HD600 from my iPhone 6 (unless it's known for sure that the HD600 doesn't need an amp with the iPhone 6... 
wink.gif
), or as a portable option for my MacBook instead of the desktop rig for when I want to go travelling. To be honest, I'd be surprised if it offered any improvement with the HD600 over straight headphone out from the iPhone, but I'd happily be convinced otherwise.

Also, anyone tried the E18? That apparently has a more powerful amp than the Q1, so might do better...

The Thread starter last said be was not getting the HD600 and will instead get the Philips Fidelio X2.
So my advice to get the Q1 was based on him getting the X2, not the HD600.

Mar 22, 2016 at 5:48 AM Post #6 of 6
Thanks for the suggestion, after reading much, I realized that HD 600 is going to run me close to 1g if I want to hear it properly. But X2 or even hd592 is something like $180 with no amp needed. So I think I'll stick with that for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back