Best way to deal with ksc75 cord volume control?
Apr 30, 2006 at 4:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

mattg3

500+ Head-Fier
I was first one in door to Radio Shack today to pick up ksc75 on sale for 9.99.I was dismayed to see koss has put a volume control in the cord but everything else seems the same.Im thinking one should set the volume control as loud as possible and never touch it again,letting device control the volume level.All the headphone volume control devices Ive used always ended up full of static or breaking.If anyone has another suggestion on dealing with this ksc feature please post it.The Ksc was too good at this price(or even the original 25 it goes for) to pass it up.

Apr 30, 2006 at 4:09 PM Post #2 of 13
i too have the volume control on my ksc75's
put a piece of tape over the wheel to keep it from moving
and if they end up with static, mail em and $6 to koss and get a new pair
gotta love that lifetime warranty

Apr 30, 2006 at 5:18 PM Post #3 of 13
The volume in-line control dohickey is more trouble than it's worth. If I were you, I would return it, then go online and get one. Rat Shack is the only place that has the KSC75 w/ the volume control.

Apr 30, 2006 at 6:31 PM Post #5 of 13
It is a theory, and has been proven by some people with way more electrical knowledge than me,that the inline volume control does hamper the signal of the KSC75...of course, there were one or two that found no difference...

In-line volume controls just suck in general anyway.

Apr 30, 2006 at 6:36 PM Post #6 of 13
Have people been able to detect any audible differences between the volume control and volume control less KSC-75? (assuming no developed defects such as the static mentioned by others).

My source for these headphones would be an iPod Nano.

Apr 30, 2006 at 6:37 PM Post #7 of 13
I got mine online and it has no volume control. I was in radio shack the other day and I too saw the ksc-75s indeed had a volume control on them.

Apr 30, 2006 at 6:58 PM Post #8 of 13
Recable them with some silver!
very_evil_smiley.gif

http://www.homegrownaudio.com/silver_braid.htm

[edit]I'll probably do that this summer when I have some free time.[/i]

Apr 30, 2006 at 8:28 PM Post #10 of 13
I'd buy 'em and recable them, they're a snap to solder onto.

Apr 30, 2006 at 8:34 PM Post #11 of 13
i have a extra KSC75 cable (w/o volume control) lying around from when i put the drivers in some broken vintage sony cans. using those to recable the ones from rat shack.

May 1, 2006 at 6:42 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by beedee
How much trouble would it be to just cut out the volume control and reconnect the existing cable???

Not too much. If you have the tools and shrink wrap ready you can do it in a few minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back