Best way to convert FLAC to Apple lossless
May 30, 2004 at 1:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

PodMan

500+ Head-Fier
well, I finally made my return to the iPod after debating so long on it. Now, over the year I have recorded a lot of my cds onto FLAC to play on Foobar2k. What is the fastest way to convert all of them to Apple's lossless codec. is there some third party program that can do the conversion? if not what is the best method to go about doing this. thanks,

May 30, 2004 at 2:05 AM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by PodMan
well, I finally made my return to the iPod after debating so long on it. Now, over the year I have recorded a lot of my cds onto FLAC to play on Foobar2k. What is the fastest way to convert all of them to Apple's lossless codec. is there some third party program that can do the conversion? if not what is the best method to go about doing this. thanks,

you'll probably have to decode them back to WAV and the encode them to AL... might be easier just to re-rip from the orignal CDs

May 30, 2004 at 2:07 AM Post #3 of 8
No need to re-rip. Use Foobar's batch converter to convert all the files to WMA Lossless, then import them into iTunes. iTunes will convert the WMA Lossless files to Apple Lossless. This way you keep all of your tags.

May 30, 2004 at 10:58 AM Post #4 of 8
.... and in the process all of your files will be normalized. Don't use WMA lossless.

You best option will probably to encode back to wave of aiff (remeber to get all tags in the filename edit: you can than later fill the tags from the filename) and encode it to apple lossless. Or maby wait a bit for some 3rd party encoders. dBpowerAMP probably have one out soon.

edit: check this thread:
http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthre...9880#post19880

May 30, 2004 at 11:12 AM Post #5 of 8
WMA lossless does not normalize files. This is a myth. If you're paranoid you can convert one or two files from WMA lossless to WAV and compare against the original FLAC file.

May 30, 2004 at 9:56 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by pank2002
.... and in the process all of your files will be normalized.

Would it be bad to normalize? I remember back when I ripped most of my music to lossless that I chose "normalize." Did this degrade the quality in some way?
280smile.gif

May 31, 2004 at 12:52 AM Post #7 of 8
If you wanted your files to be normalized then it's fine. Normalizing means that the volume is adjusted for each file so that the peaks are always at full volume. This is useful if you're playing a random playlist so songs seem at similar volumes. Most people prefer not to have their files normalized; instead they opt to have tags with "ReplayGain information" embedded in the file, so that whatever playback program they use can later normalize on playback if needed.

May 31, 2004 at 12:59 AM Post #8 of 8
If you wanted your files to be normalized then it's fine. Normalizing means that the volume is adjusted for each file so that the peaks are always at full volume. This is useful if you're playing a random playlist so songs seem at similar volumes. Most people prefer not to have their files normalized; instead they opt to have tags with "ReplayGain information" embedded in the file, so that whatever playback program they use can later normalize on playback if needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back