Best way to convert a digital coaxial source to optical toslink?
Dec 31, 2010 at 5:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

sp00ki

New Head-Fier

Hello.

I would like to connect a Stanton T.80 turntable via its digital coaxial connection to my Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD soundcard.

There isn't a digital coax port on the card*, so I'm looking for a "best practices" for transmitting the turntable's digital coax signal to the mini-toslink port on my card without involving any analog or other potentially lossy technology.
I'm assuming this will involve some sort of adapter (i see there are a few manufacturers out there, but i don't know anything about any of them).
Assuming this method doesn't add noise to the equation or go from digital to analog at any point, can someone recommend a reliable one?
Or perhaps a better way to go about connecting them?

Thanks!

*i don't think; the RCA ports are creatively dual purposed as mini-TOSLINK ports-- is it possible they also act as coaxial ports??

Jan 5, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #2 of 5

Quote:

Hello.

I would like to connect a Stanton T.80 turntable via its digital coaxial connection to my Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD soundcard.

There isn't a digital coax port on the card*, so I'm looking for a "best practices" for transmitting the turntable's digital coax signal to the mini-toslink port on my card without involving any analog or other potentially lossy technology.
I'm assuming this will involve some sort of adapter (i see there are a few manufacturers out there, but i don't know anything about any of them).
Assuming this method doesn't add noise to the equation or go from digital to analog at any point, can someone recommend a reliable one?
Or perhaps a better way to go about connecting them?

Thanks!

*i don't think; the RCA ports are creatively dual purposed as mini-TOSLINK ports-- is it possible they also act as coaxial ports??

Jan 5, 2011 at 12:39 PM Post #3 of 5
Something like this?

There is no analog. The data isn't even changing, it is only changing media.

Electrical noise is not possible since TOSLINK is not an electrical connection (it is an optical connection.)

Jan 8, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #4 of 5
Yes, something like that.  There are a few makes/models, i was wondering if anyone had experience with coax -> toslink adapters, and could recommend a good one.

Jan 10, 2011 at 10:35 AM Post #5 of 5
As long as it's not defective you won't notice any differences between them, since they are just a digital pass-through. I would recommend finding one with decent ratings that's as cheap as possible. For $12 I don't think you'd be risking much.

Quote:
Yes, something like that.  There are a few makes/models, i was wondering if anyone had experience with coax -> toslink adapters, and could recommend a good one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back