Best way to control speaker volume for my setup?
Jun 9, 2018 at 9:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

drummerdimitri

500+ Head-Fier
I am using a Chord Mojo in line out mode from my laptop that feeds the signal (3.5 mm to RCA) to a pair of studio monitors with a volume control at the back of one of the speakers.

My question is what is the best way to control the volume to retain maximum SQ.

Should I control the Volume from the mojo, the windows volume slider or from the monitors themselves?

What should i set the volumes of the other two in whatever case?

The most convenient way is to use my USB volume control knob change the windows volume but I am not sure this is the best option.

Jun 9, 2018 at 11:24 PM Post #2 of 4
I am using a Chord Mojo in line out mode from my laptop that feeds the signal (3.5 mm to RCA) to a pair of studio monitors with a volume control at the back of one of the speakers.

If it has all the electronics and control on one speaker that's likely a consumer powered speaker, ie, an asymmetrical Master-Slave design than the symmetrical design on pro products. Although if it was made by one of the pro monitor manufacters chances are it has acceptably neutral response.

My question is what is the best way to control the volume to retain maximum SQ.

Should I control the Volume from the mojo, the windows volume slider or from the monitors themselves?

What should i set the volumes of the other two in whatever case?

The most convenient way is to use my USB volume control knob change the windows volume but I am not sure this is the best option.

Just use the monitors' since there's only one. If you want the knob closer to your hand, just hook up the Mojo to a Schiit Sys, set it to around 2:00, then crank up the volume on the speakers' control knob until you hit distortion. Pull back a little bit, and from that point on use the Sys.

Jun 10, 2018 at 4:19 AM Post #3 of 4
Theoretically, digital volume control means a lack of resolution.
In practice most of our recordings are 16 bit and our DACs 24.
Hence we could strip 8*6=48 dB without losing resolution.

My advice would be to set the speakers slightly to loud with the knob on the back. (is it volume control or input sensitivity?)
Lower the volume digital.
Use the volume control of the Mojo
As it is USB I wouldn’t be surprised if your USB volume control works on it.

If you want an analog solution, have a look at https://www.gearslutz.com/board/reviews/915550-tc-electronics-level-pilot.html

Jun 10, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #4 of 4
I say max out the volume controls on the source (PC) and use the Mojo's volume buttons, for volume control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back