Best way to connect PC to Dac?
Oct 7, 2016 at 12:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Oistein

New Head-Fier
I have seen several users complaining about the sound comming from their USB'ports and have experienced similar issues myself. The "only" solution seems to be to play music from an ancient CD drive (I have not used those in about 15 years). With my SE 846 and Mojo I hear some slight hiss comming from my IEM's. Is there a way to deal with this issue?

What is the best way to play high quality music from a PC? (Not asking about alternatives to the computer!)

Oct 7, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #2 of 9
  I have seen several users complaining about the sound comming from their USB'ports and have experienced similar issues myself. The "only" solution seems to be to play music from an ancient CD drive (I have not used those in about 15 years). With my SE 846 and Mojo I hear some slight hiss comming from my IEM's. Is there a way to deal with this issue?

What is the best way to play high quality music from a PC? (Not asking about alternatives to the computer!)

Unless you have good reasons for using S/PDIF (optical or coaxial) to connect to an external DAC, might as well stick with USB.
I'm going to assume a new USB DAC will not cause any hissing issue.

I have a $90 USB DAC/amp that has a noise issue, but I'm assuming the device is having a wear and tear issue from abusive use, not because it's USB.

If you list a budget, my fellow Head-fi and I can recomend external DAC/amps.

Oct 7, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #3 of 9
Really not looking for an additional amp/dac to my Chord Mojo. More thinking about upgrading the USB cable if that would solve my noise issue. If the USB could solve the hiss I owuld be willing to spend upwards of 200$ on a proper fix.

Otherwise I am looking for a new pc in the next 6 months. Would a PC with a coax output also work?

Oct 7, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #4 of 9
  Really not looking for an additional amp/dac to my Chord Mojo. More thinking about upgrading the USB cable if that would solve my noise issue. Otherwise I am looking for a new pc in the next 6 months. Would a PC with a coax output also work?

I would say to order a low costing USB cable(s) & optical cable (and coaxial cable?), from a place like Monoprice.
http://www.monoprice.com/
Try different cables, see if it solves the noise issue. 

If your PC is providing "noisy" power from it's USB port, you could try a AC to USB adapter (USB wall adapter).
http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=116&cp_id=10851&cs_id=1085102&p_id=14578&seq=1&format=2

If your current PC does not have an S/PDIF optical output.
Then a low cost sound card ($20-$40), like the Asus Xonar DG or DGX, will provide an optical port.

Most PC's do not come with a built in S/PDIF coaxial (digital) output.
But if you did get a new PC with coaxial, you of course can try it.

Oct 7, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #5 of 9

How did you connect to the CD player ?

Oct 7, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #6 of 9
I have the same hissing issue from my m9xx and jvc fx1200/fx850. I'm willing to believe that the noise floor of the amps are too high and your iem is picking that up. So I bought an ifi iematch on amazon but wont recieve it until the 13th of this month. I'll come back to this if it helped on not.

Any ohm resistor adapter like the 100ohm for er4p should work though.

Oct 8, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #7 of 9
Must be the Mojo itself. Just turning it on without plugging in the charger or USB connection I can still hear the hiss. Would love to hear if the ifi iematch worked =)

Oct 8, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #8 of 9
I have a mojo myself and hear no hiss through my IEMs or headphones. If you can hear hiss from the mojo without other devices connected to it, then the issue lies either in the mojo or your IEMs. Have you connected your IEMs to other sources to hear you get the same results? Also connect another IEM or headphone tot he mojo and check if you still hear hiss.

Oct 14, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #9 of 9

Definitely removed all the hiss and improved the bass and mids, was previously getting worse audio than simply plugging into the front pc port. Now I can safely say that the m9xx is better than my micca origen. But I still wonder if I could have fixed it with a cheaper solution... Still satisfied the outcome nonetheless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back