Best way to connect DVD player to home system?
Oct 20, 2010 at 8:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

nycbone

100+ Head-Fier
I have:

A DVD player with audio line out, coaxial digital audio signal output and HDMI out.
An HDTV with HDMI in as well as audio line out and an optical audio signal output.
A preamplifier with line in only.

I use the HDMI connection for the video signal.

At the moment I run the audio line out from the DVD player directly to the preamp. It sounds fine (preamp is connected to a power amplifier/loudspeakers).

I just picked up a used Valab DAC in an attempt to improve the SQ.

I had planned to run the digital signal from the DAC to the preamp and be done, but realized...

I could also take the optical output from the TV and run that to the DAC. That would reroute the audio signal from the HDMI loop (DVD player to TV).

Any thoughts about one route vs. the other?

Thanks!

Oct 20, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #2 of 3
Well, I sort of run it in that fashion.  I use the optical out from tv to my optical in from DAC.  My coax out from DVD player to coax in from DAC.  I don't have a pre, just an integrated amp.  It works for me.  I can have speakers for tv alone and for the dvd player.  I also use the dvd player as a transport to play CDs.

Oct 20, 2010 at 10:10 PM Post #3 of 3
After thinking about it, I'm not sure that I see any advantage to rerouting the HDMI audio from the DVD player to the TV and back to the DAC. I'll probably rig it the way that you have.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back