Best way to connect Audioengine A5+
Jan 24, 2012 at 2:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

chateau

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I just bought a pair of Audioengine A5+ speakers. I am planning to use them with my tv and laptop (Sony VGN-AR850E).

Right now, the speakers are connected to my laptop with the mini-jack cable audio cable. Also, my computer has an onboard soundcard with Realtek Digital Output (Optical) and I wanna connect my speakers to the computer using an optical cable.
Do you think that if I use an optical cable, I will get a better performance ?

If I'll get better performance, I will definitely connect them with optical cable. However, I need a DAC for that. Which DAC wıll work best with audioengine A5+, any recommendations? ( my budget is under $100)

Thanks...

Jan 24, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #2 of 8
The Audioengine d1 was highly recommended by a member here...read the review at the bottom of the amazon page for the d1: http://www.amazon.com/Audioengine-D1-Digital-to-Analog-Converter/dp/B006IPH5H2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327457055&sr=8-1
Also, it has a built in headphone amp...and is relatively affordable. I am actually about to pull the trigger on a pair of the A5+ and the d1...and some senn pc360's.

Jan 24, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #3 of 8
How do you like your A5's? I ordered P4's once on accident thinking they were the A5's, ended up keeping the P4's and love them. 

Jan 24, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #4 of 8
I just ordered the a5+ and d1 to replace my a5's which i have really enjoyed for the last two and a half years. Prior to the a5's I was a logitech guy (played lots of games - actually I still do). Moving to the a5's was a huge upgrade for me and I hope the combo I just ordered works out well...

Jan 24, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #5 of 8
I think the sound difference between using the analog vs. optical will be negligible if it's coming straight off the soundcard.

HeadphoneAddict wrote a very thorough review of the DAC which can be found here.  I'm the user who wrote that Amazon review posted above by Lewcifer and will have the D1 for a few more days before writing my final review.  The D1 will accept the optical connection from your soundcard and will improve the sound due to the higher quality DAC used. I have a Macbook with a Realtek soundcard and the bass is a lot better (fuller sounding, extends deeper) and the overall sound is improved but the amount of difference you and I perceive might be different.

I do like the ability of the D1 to act as a pre-amp with the AE speakers and ideally you want your system/player volume at max and then the volume controlled from the D1 and in that regard, it works beautifully. 

I think it is worth saving up just a little bit more to get the D1 ($170) over a sub $100 DAC out there at the moment. The AE products pair very well together.

Jan 25, 2012 at 6:42 AM Post #6 of 8
Hmm actually do u intend to run cans as well? If so perhaps a DAC with headphone amp section might be a viable all in one solution
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 25, 2012 at 7:14 AM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
Hey guys,

I just bought a pair of Audioengine A5+ speakers. I am planning to use them with my tv and laptop (Sony VGN-AR850E).

Right now, the speakers are connected to my laptop with the mini-jack cable audio cable. Also, my computer has an onboard soundcard with Realtek Digital Output (Optical) and I wanna connect my speakers to the computer using an optical cable.
Do you think that if I use an optical cable, I will get a better performance ?

If I'll get better performance, I will definitely connect them with optical cable. However, I need a DAC for that. Which DAC wıll work best with audioengine A5+, any recommendations? ( my budget is under $100)

Thanks...

I apologize, but just now realized that your budget was under $100 and I strongly recommended taking a look at the D1 which is well over that budget...I know that's a bit of a pet peeve for some around here. Last night when I responded, I only skimmed through as I was using my tablet while browsing.

Quote:
I think the sound difference between using the analog vs. optical will be negligible if it's coming straight off the soundcard.

HeadphoneAddict wrote a very thorough review of the DAC which can be found here.  I'm the user who wrote that Amazon review posted above by Lewcifer and will have the D1 for a few more days before writing my final review.  The D1 will accept the optical connection from your soundcard and will improve the sound due to the higher quality DAC used. I have a Macbook with a Realtek soundcard and the bass is a lot better (fuller sounding, extends deeper) and the overall sound is improved but the amount of difference you and I perceive might be different.

I do like the ability of the D1 to act as a pre-amp with the AE speakers and ideally you want your system/player volume at max and then the volume controlled from the D1 and in that regard, it works beautifully. 

I think it is worth saving up just a little bit more to get the D1 ($170) over a sub $100 DAC out there at the moment. The AE products pair very well together.

I was going to link to that article, but after seeing the name used on Amazon and reading through the first page of the review by HeadphoneAddict, I realized it wasn't the same person that posted both reviews. Both of those reviews helped with my decision to upgrade to the A5+ and D1. Thanks.

Aug 9, 2012 at 2:58 AM Post #8 of 8
I know this thread is a bit old, but in case anyone else stumbles upon it, I would suggest the FiiO D3 for someone who needs an optical audio DAC on the cheap. Only $25 bucks on amazon, goes from optical audio in to RCA out, works great with my A5+. Doesn't sound as good as my FiiO E17, but i would definitely put it on par with the E7 which is generally considered a solid DAC. Most FiiO products are, in my opinion, worth at least twice what they cost. Just look for reviews. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back