Best way to batch process mp3's for volume boost?
May 11, 2008 at 7:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Snoodge

100+ Head-Fier
I have a few hundred mp3's that I want to put on my PSP, the PSP has a really weak amp and I want to boost all of the volumes of the songs by a few db. Audacity can automatically boost the song to the point right before any clipping would occur but I havent figured out how to do it as a batch process and I dont wanna do it 400 times.

Any help?

May 12, 2008 at 6:30 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by EnOYiN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could use mp3gain I guess. Most songs are already very loud so I can't really recommend this.

Audacity does a great job of amplifying sound files without inducing clipping, I just wanted to know if anybody could walk me through setting up a batch process so I dont have to do them all individually.

May 12, 2008 at 1:20 PM Post #4 of 5
You have to be a bit careful when increasing the gain. DACs have built in filters and many filters generally add a little gain. Therefore, if you maximise your gain to fractionally below 0dBFS and can see no clipping in your software, this doesn't mean that you won't get any clipping when the audio file is actually output through your DAC.

May 18, 2008 at 11:20 PM Post #5 of 5
grab mp3gain, scan all files, then click "max no-clip gain for all files." I dunno if the PSP can read mp3gain, but inside the program is the feature to permanently add the gain via removing the mp3gain tags and keeping the file modification, which I'm told will permanently raise the volume and thus make it compatible with all devices.

Also, about clipping, considering the OP is using a PSP I'm sure any clipping will be minor and not noticeable coming from the PSP's speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back