Best way to archive music
May 2, 2002 at 7:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

need2ski9

New Head-Fier
Ok here's the thing. Im going to be off to college in the fall and I really dont want to take my cd collection with me for fear of losing/damaging them. Lately I've been ripping every cd I own into MP3 using LAME at 160bps. The sound quality is just not going to do it for me
frown.gif
. I then thought about copying every single cd I own onto a CDR (200+cds), but I've heard people saying that cdrs dont last long. Is there any particular CDR brand that lasts, or is there some other way to store this music like on DAT or something? I'm open to all suggestions. Thanks!

May 2, 2002 at 10:46 PM Post #2 of 15
minidisc? not quite the quickest way, but works wonderfully. 200 CDs is going to be a bit of work tho!

May 2, 2002 at 10:51 PM Post #3 of 15
Hmmm...never thought of that, how is the sound quality on a MD compared to a regular cd? Also, would something on a MD last as long as something on a CDR? I basically am looking for something that will last forever lol, I want to be able to listen to my music when im 85 in a retirement home hhaha. MD sounds pretty sweet but it will take quite a while to get it going.

May 3, 2002 at 10:52 AM Post #4 of 15
minidiscs sound pretty close to CD (specially type-R Atrac recorded ones) and should last forever. they're always in their little box, so no sunlight damage or anything. the 'burning' also works entirely different. but anyway, you're not doing away your CDs right?

somthing else to consider tho: MD's are 1 or 2 bucks a piece, which kinda adds up when you're going to copy 200 CDs. add the cost of a deck...

May 3, 2002 at 1:59 PM Post #6 of 15
When I had to move across continents, I just took my favorite CDs, bought a portable MD player with digital-in, copying a whole CD is a 1 minute 'do' + 60 minute 'wait' operation (if your CD player has the appropriate digital out), and believe me, 50-100 Minidisk take very little space compared to 100 CDs. Sound quality is probably determined more by the MD player, mostly the D/A converter, than the currently very good datacompression methods.

May 3, 2002 at 2:41 PM Post #7 of 15
I second A&M's suggestion. Try Musepack, formerly known as mpegplus.

latest encoder win binary: http://www.uni-jena.de/~pfk/mpp/bin/...dows-1.01i.zip

latest winamp plug-in: http://www.saunalahti.fi/~cse/in_mpc_0.92m.zip

the --insane quality switch is an overkill, --standard or perhaps --xtreme should suffice for all practical purposes.

Alternatively, if compatibility is important to you, you may want to stay with lame 3.92 using one of the tuned presets: --alt-preset standard, if that doesn't cut it for you, --alt-preset extreme

You could also compress your music losslessly with Monkey's Audio, FLAC, LPAC or any program of that sort.

May 3, 2002 at 6:42 PM Post #8 of 15
thanks for all the suggestions, but what im really looking for here is another storage system thats more perminent than cd. Im not looking to compress my cds, just store them in a medium that will last longer. Thanks again

May 5, 2002 at 3:48 AM Post #10 of 15
Lossless compression: Shorten (.shn).

Compresses about 25% file size.

Or...why not just copy your favorite cds...the ones you actually listen to often and the hell with the rest?

May 6, 2002 at 6:48 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by atherean
Shorten is likely the worst choice of a lossless compressor...

Any reasons in particular?

May 6, 2002 at 9:59 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by gloco

Any reasons in particular?

Because its short
tongue.gif

Seriously I wanna know why too
smily_headphones1.gif

May 8, 2002 at 3:50 AM Post #14 of 15
CDRs dont last long? Why?

Users who are viewing this thread