Best way of transporting music from my Macbook?
Aug 30, 2007 at 5:37 AM Post #2 of 16
The "best" way (sound wise) would be to use an external DAC, which you feed with digital signal from the MacBook Pro's optical out.

I use this setup myself, which I am very pleased with:
MacBook Pro -> VdH The Optocoupler MKII -> Electrocompaniet ECD1 -> Amplifier

Aug 30, 2007 at 1:36 PM Post #4 of 16
Two very different SQ approaches: have you tried simple line out to the amp? The digital out to an external DAC will most likely give better SQ. Optical out likely better than USB. However, USB external DACs can be EXTREMELY FABULOUS. I love my MacBK PRo iTunes ALL> USB Wavelength Cosecant > amp > 701's.

Aug 30, 2007 at 1:53 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by N15M0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW where can I buy the VdH The Optocoupler MKII?

I bought mine, special order, through the Norwegian distributor.
You don't mention where you are situated, so its a bit hard to point you towards a distributor. But check out this website: http://www.vandenhul.com/distrib/distrib.htm

Aug 30, 2007 at 2:41 PM Post #7 of 16
I see I am located in singapore. Btw is the optical out of the macbook pro a pure optical out or the data that is being send through the optical out has already been process by the macbook pro internal dac? Thanks.

Aug 30, 2007 at 2:47 PM Post #8 of 16
^ Its digital. Meaning that the signal have \not/ been processed by the internal DAC.

Sep 1, 2007 at 6:47 AM Post #12 of 16
I go one of these routes connecting my amplifier to my MacBook (Pro):
* MacBook Pro -> Electrocompaniet ECD1 -> Amplifier
* MacBook Pro -> AirPort Express -> Electrocompaniet ECD1 -> Amplifier

There are also the option of using an USB DAC.

Sep 1, 2007 at 3:48 PM Post #14 of 16
you may want to think about avoiding the mini optical and going firewire or usd to the apogee mini dac. This is great solution that to my ears is better than the optical interface and from a cable standpoint a heck of alot cheaper.

Do a serach in the dedicated source area and you will find many happy apogee users

Users who are viewing this thread

Back