Best way of archiving Digital Music collection
May 16, 2021 at 8:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

gerelmx1986

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi fellas, i wanted to ask tpu.

which archival mwthod do you consider best to safeguard a music collection?
Optical media - w.g DVD+R DL/BD-xl
Hard drives
Flash memory storage, including SSDs
Online cloud locker

in my case i used to use dual layer dvd. But since moving to lossless (1.41TB library size now) i have three 4TB external deives with same info on each and t o 1TB micro SD as backup.

would you recommend optical medium as an extra safeguard?

May 16, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #2 of 10
I know this may be irrelevant in the era of streaming services . But i imagine there are still people who have mega libraries

May 16, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #3 of 10
I would suggest backing up to a low cost/long term storage oriented Cloud storage provider. It gives you an off site copy of your music in case of loss/theft/fire etc - hopefully never need it!

Amazon Glacier is an ideal end point for this type of long term storage with low access (you won't download from it unless you have a DR situation) as the charging model is focused on inbound and outbound data over storage capacity. A library of your size should cost less than $10 per month to maintain in Glacier storage.

There are many backup solutions that support Amazon Glacier. If you're looking for software with an easy to use interface and high quality Glacier API, MSP360 (formerly Cloudberry) works very well.

May 16, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #4 of 10
1. I back up to a portable drive (onsite).
2. I back up to a portable drive and store it offsite.
3. I back that up to a NAS drive (onsite).
4. I back up the original music library (& all data) to Backblaze

Paranoid? Yes. As @bfreedma mentioned, there is always the potential for loss/theft/fire, as well as flooding (pipe overhead bursts, once-in-a-hundred year rain/flood (it happened to me)). As I said, I'm paranoid. I do this for all my data and digital images as well.

Last edited:
May 16, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #5 of 10
1.41TB is small and manageable. I have a 24TB local library, stored on WD Gold 12TB X2. This is the output of about a decade's worth of work.

I then have two back ups of this on the same HDD model, so X6 WD Gold 12TB. The main library is on a QNAP raid system. The back up drives are each stored separately and backed up individually, each in separate locations.

Ideally, I would like to upload this as cloud storage but it will take time and money to do so.

Not a fan of streaming myself.

Last edited:
May 16, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #6 of 10
This applies to all of my data, not only music. I store my data and laptop backups on a Synology NAS, which I have physically at home, but two backups are further made. One is online backup, to a Cloud provider, that one is synchronous, meaning that any change made, gets encrypted and pushed onto a bucket. If this online backup would fail, got deleted/hacked, or put behind a ransomware attack, I also have two physical backups, that I rotate monthly. One is at home, so in case my NAS failed and online backup failed too, I have a month old backup in the house. If my house burned down or someone stole everything, I also have a month old backup in a security deposit at my local bank. Also worth mentioning, that I use two different software to make these backups, so in case one of the backups was no longer compatible with one of the software, I would have the other one, reducing the risk even further.

May 17, 2021 at 2:32 AM Post #7 of 10
1.41TB is small and manageable. I have a 24TB local library, stored on WD Gold 12TB X2. This is the output of about a decade's worth of work.

I then have two back ups of this on the same HDD model, so X6 WD Gold 12TB. The main library is on a QNAP raid system. The back up drives are each stored separately and backed up individually, each in separate locations.

Ideally, I would like to upload this as cloud storage but it will take time and money to do so.

Not a fan of streaming myself.
Mine too is worth of a decade, tho it is only classical music. Yes all lossless including 16/44.1 FLAC 90.4% and Hi-res FLAC & DSD 9.6%.

one drive is with my friend in Hamburg, two are in site different rooms and other i carry always.

i also dislike streaming, no matter if theyre going lossless i find their business model of renting music only benedits the company.

May 17, 2021 at 2:39 AM Post #8 of 10
Some have told me the physical CD/SACD we buy and rip are also backups.
Sadly 90% of my cd stayed in mexico when moving to Germany, also nowadays i try to buy more and more digital files to download rather than physical media

May 18, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #10 of 10
Do tou consider Multi-layered optical discs such as DVD+R/-R DL or BD-R DL/XL reliable?

i had problems with early DVD double layer, they had problems writing reliably or went bad pretty quickly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back