Best warm portable DAC headphone amp?
Dec 28, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #2 of 3
More information would be helpful:
  • What is your max budget? "Best" implies an unlimited budget which is typically not the case.
  • What inputs do you need (USB, 3.5mm, coaxial, optical, etc.)? What inputs could you do without?
  • What devices will you be using the portable DAC/amp with?
  • What bit depths and sample rates are the files you need the unit to decode?
  • Does portable to you mean it can fit in your pocket or it can fit in a bag to take to work, etc.?

Dec 28, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #3 of 3
More information would be helpful:
  1. What is your max budget? "Best" implies an unlimited budget which is typically not the case.
  2. What inputs do you need (USB, 3.5mm, coaxial, optical, etc.)? What inputs could you do without?
  3. What devices will you be using the portable DAC/amp with?
  4. What bit depths and sample rates are the files you need the unit to decode?
  5. Does portable to you mean it can fit in your pocket or it can fit in a bag to take to work, etc.?

Ah sorry about that.

1. Budget - I was considering the Sony PHA-3 which is $1K... Don't know how much more than that I would want to go if at all over that. I have other gear to work on. I can't fathom anything more than the Chord Hugo which is $2500 - but even then I would buy the Sony first as I would need to save a long time for the Hugo (a year or two). The Sony I could get at tax return time (spring) no problem. So most likely inbetween these two extremes. Say $1500 max. The Hugo is a no go anyway as it isn't warm enough IMHO for the MSR7 or the HD 800 that I'd like to get later on. I've also considered the HiFi M8 but that lacks one connection I need or another. The Mini M8 has all the connections I need but I'm worried about that build quality on Centrance units a bit vs the Sony PHA-3, possible hiss on any unit I buy with JH Audio Layla, and impedance for IEMs for all these choices. And the worry that while the Mini M8 may have the better connection layout and size, the HiFi M8 might have the better sound quality and build quality. And do these Centrance units have enough warmth? I have no idea. But the MSR7 and HD 800 are picky picky picky.

2. Inputs - Optical out PS4 is a must. So is PC USB. Last but not least the iPhone 6 / iPad Mini 3 protocol over USB is super useful at least for the short term. I could update my iPad to a laptop and my iPhone to an AK240 though and forget about iOS compatibility if I need to. The ability to use as a separate DAC as I upgrade headphone amps for home use would be nice. 3.5mm analog in and out is fine as I plan on using two headphones for now that use that size, the MSR7 and JH Audio Laya. Only much later on will I buy the LCD3 and possibly the HD 800. But then for those I will want the latest Burson DAC / Preamp / Headphone Amp for those guys. Later on I may want a hi end audio player like the AK240. But all this will be many years no doubt so the plan may change slightly. But that's General roadmap.

3. Devices -See above. But for now, right now, Blu-Rays and games from PS4 optical out, iPhone 6 / iPad Mini 3 for on the go, Windows 8 music and Steam gaming via PC USB and other video files.

4. Quality of files - To start I want to do lossless rips from CDs. The higher quality the better. I'll look into this DSD and ultra high res codecs later. I do want the best I can get for my money on quality however. All about that quality. I'm keen on trying balanced amps which may need some custom cables. I realize eventually for music that means another music player besides my iPhone. But I imagine youtube and movies will still be iPad bound on the go. Or at least laptop bound. The collection does not exist yet so I can rip it any way I want.

Edit: I'm not sure anything above CD ripped lossless is worth it, but a DAC that's high end is ok.

5. I'm sure a corner of my backpack will do but I do appreciate smaller things when feasible.

Edit:

I'm most likely going to get the Sony PHA-3, I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss any obvious other choices that where better and to see if anyone held the Centrance Mini M8 or HiFi M8 in higher esteem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back