best vsop cognac?
Oct 11, 2002 at 6:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

tone

100+ Head-Fier
any cognac experts out there?

i've tried the courvoisier vsop cognac and a few others. what are your favorites?
tongue.gif

Oct 11, 2002 at 7:05 AM Post #3 of 34
I've never been a fan of Courvoisier -- and I'm told that it's made in the style of Armagnac, which may account for its peculiar taste. Of the few cognacs I've tried, my favorites were Martel Gordon Bleu and Cardenal VSOP. Hennessey is okay but not much better than Courvoisier.

Oct 11, 2002 at 8:31 AM Post #4 of 34
icky. i don't like scotch either. i'd stick with vodka, but that's just me.

hmm, course there is that bottle of remy martin louis xiii downstairs..
biggrin.gif

Oct 11, 2002 at 2:16 PM Post #6 of 34
I've tried Remy Martin, but it doesn't do much for me.

I used to be a fan of Courvoisier, but my preference now is for Hennesseys. Actually, I go for the Hennesseys XO. That stuff turns to vapors in your mouth...very smooth. I generally "permit" my wife to buy me a couple of bottles duty-free, every other year when she goes overseas to visit her family.

I also very much enjoy Armagnac. It has more of a distinctive, dry fruitiness as compared to the Cognacs. Two decent brands, not too expensive, are Larresingle and Saint Vivant. I only recommend the VSOP to XO here.

Calvados is an apple brandy/cognac which is very good. This can get just as expensive as cognac & armagnac. If you like cognacs & armagnac, it's worth a try.

[Bourbon is very good too! Don't get me started here
smily_headphones1.gif
]

Oct 11, 2002 at 4:39 PM Post #7 of 34
Personally I prefer a fine portwine.

As for cognacs, my dad get's the Remy Martin XO regularly (company gift). I've actually developed quite a taste for cognac through my dad's desire for it. (he drinks an expensive glass every night- and pours me a glass in the weekend)
Yes - the XO Remy Martin is the best cognac I've (been alowed to) taste. The VSOP is not so bad... My dad says it's overpriced though. (The XO CAN'T be
wink.gif
Not when it comes in such a pretty bottle...)

I don't really understand whisky'ers? (whiskers if you prefer)
I'd take a cheap Marc over whisky anytime.
tongue.gif

ps: I understand if you have trouble considering a 16-year-olds advice about finer alcoholic drinks... Okay okay.. I'll say it differently before someone else does: I understand if you have trouble considering MY advice about finer alcoholic drinks. - There you go fellas, I don't just drink beer and cheap vodka

rolleyes.gif

Oct 11, 2002 at 4:58 PM Post #8 of 34
I do business with a lot of Japanese companies and Remy Martin seems to be the preferred presentation booze.

Like LarryS, if I had to drink it (I'm definitely a more champagne person myself) I'd go for Hennessy XO. Strangely, I tend to get it from my least Japanese-like Japanese clients
biggrin.gif

Don't get me started about some of the 'vsop' stuff I've had in Karaoke bars...
rolleyes.gif

Oct 11, 2002 at 5:15 PM Post #9 of 34
Yeah it really is amazing what cheap-ass cognacs they put the "vsop" sticker on...

Oct 11, 2002 at 5:36 PM Post #10 of 34
BTW, I cannot believe I was coming up against a 16 year old in the headphone arguments.

Here I am, 30+ classical composer / label owner / now IT company head / occasional DJer being baited by a frickin 16 year old. I feel dirty.

Oct 11, 2002 at 5:52 PM Post #11 of 34
Just another, "What LarryS said" about calvados. Can frequently find very good calvados for much less than very good cognac.

Would also eccho Flasken's comments about Port. If you have a chance, try a good vintage that's had a chance to age (e.g., 1985, 1977, 1970, 1963). Yum!

And, along those same lines... check out Madeira! IMHO, some of the best tasting stuff to be found. Like Port, it's a fortified wine (alcohol content generally in the 18-22% range). In broad terms... three main types: Sercial, Bual, and Malmsey. The most dry are the Sercial. The most sweet are the Malmsey. The Bual is in the middle.

And old Sercial can almost evaporate off the palate, leaving behind an incredibe flavor/aroma.

When I opened an old Malmsey and passed the bottle to my wife, I asked what she thought it smelled like. Her first reaction, "Milk Duds!". Exactly correct. Amazing to be able to hints of caramel, chocolate, and spice (and other flavors that are difficult to describe). Just wonderful! Works great as an apperitif to stimulate the juices or goes well with dessert or having a nip before heading off to bed.

Can find old Madeira for fairly modest prices. And, by old, I'm talking about stuff that was in barrel while Lincoln was president. And by fairly modest, that bottle of old Madeira will likely cost about the same as (or even less than) a bottle of Remy Martin Extra.

Mmmm... Madeira.... mmmmm.....

Happy indulging!

Bruce

Oct 11, 2002 at 6:02 PM Post #12 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by Magicthyse
BTW, I cannot believe I was coming up against a 16 year old in the headphone arguments.

Here I am, 30+ classical composer / label owner / now IT company head / occasional DJer being baited by a frickin 16 year old. I feel dirty.

And yet, I can't believe how childish your posts tend to be!!! It's a battle of opinions, not of ages!

rolleyes.gif

Oct 11, 2002 at 6:07 PM Post #13 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by BDA_ABAT

Would also eccho Flasken's comments about Port. If you have a chance, try a good vintage that's had a chance to age (e.g., 1985, 1977, 1970, 1963). Yum!

Which reminds me of a month ago when my family was visiting my uncle... It was getting late, him my dad and me were sitting at the table, talking, when he, all of a sudden,with a big smile on his face, sat a 40-year-old bottle of Port on the middle of the table.

We drank all of it
biggrin.gif

Oct 11, 2002 at 9:37 PM Post #14 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by Flasken
And yet, I can't believe how childish your posts tend to be!!! It's a battle of opinions, not of ages!

rolleyes.gif

BWAHAHAHAHAHA

Oct 12, 2002 at 7:13 AM Post #15 of 34
thanks for the ideas!

has anybody tried the kelt vsop cognac?

http://www.keltcognac.com

apparently they put the cognac in half empty wood barrels and ship it by sea around the world. apparently all of the mixing is suppose to do something.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back