best vocals for iems under $1200?
Mar 6, 2021 at 7:58 PM Post #2 of 6
Don't know if this is the best for vocals, but the vocals here are one of the best i have heard, try the shuoer ej07. But look at reviews before purchase.

Mar 7, 2021 at 8:24 PM Post #4 of 6
For vocal proficiency, you don't need to spend a grand. Moondrop blessing 2 is tonally more accurate in the vocal range than even many IEMs costing thousands

Mar 8, 2021 at 12:59 AM Post #5 of 6
For vocal proficiency, you don't need to spend a grand. Moondrop blessing 2 is tonally more accurate in the vocal range than even many IEMs costing thousands
I have the Blessing 2 and agree that it is well tuned, but there is something about it that makes it less engaging and emotional than my other IEMs. There's a touch of a veil, a dryness, something slightly cold and nasal.
My modded $200 JVC FD02 sounds more vibrant, livlier and more natural and engaging, but can't keep up with the Blessing's resolution and clean tuning overall. Pro's and cons between those two.

But to answer @Hphones887 question - I find the Sony IER-M9 to do a phenomenal job with vocals and a stunning IEM overall. Clarity and resolution with a slightly warmer tuning work extremely well for both male and female vocals. Bass extension and decay is very good for a BA IEM, actually the decay of the M9 in the whole frequency range is really good, fast, but natural. Imaging is also excellent, soundstage is deep but not the widest.

I owned the QDC 4SS before, which was touted as a great option for vocals and was frankly disappointed, as it was so mid forward that it threw off the balance of the music. Also decay was way too fast to be natural.

Compared to the Focal Clear fulll size headphones the IER-M9 is much more resolving and detailed, sounds brighter (in a good way) and gives vocals a plasticity and articulation that the Clears cannot match. The Clears are warmer and smoother, very balanced and are great for enjoying music. They also have more impactful bass. t's like going to a Jazz bar. The M9 makes me think of listening to a world class orchestra in an acoustically perfect hall, where you can follow all the details.

If you like the Jazz-bar character in an IEM I don't know where to look, but the concert hall is done really well by the M9.

PS: I verified my impressions before making these statements and listened to Hera Hyesang Park's Deutsche Grammophon recording "I am Hera" on all my IEMs and the Focal Clear headphone for reference, source Hugo 2.

Mar 8, 2021 at 7:27 AM Post #6 of 6
The Sony M9 is an excellent IEM to look into. My current best IEM for vocals is the Penon Volt, another IEM I recommend looking into.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back