Best vocal headphone under 300?
May 9, 2014 at 5:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

thesteel

New Head-Fier
I'll be using it to listen to ballads and care about how the vocals sound the most. I don't mind whether it's open or closed but I heard open will have better soundstage and sound quality which are both important to me.

At first, I thought it would be an easy choice of HD 598. But after researching, I see people recommending A900x more. Is A900x superior to HD 598 in vocals/ballads specifically?

I also found that there's an open version of AD900x which I would assume to be better for vocals/ballads, but no one ever talks about these xD.

-Vocals, sound quality, sound stage (In order of importance)
-Genre/focus: Ballads/Vocal (A lot of Korean, Chinese, Japanese ballads if that matters)
-$200-300

May 10, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #2 of 5
In addition to A900x and HD598, add the AKG Q701, K701, and K702 to your list. As for which of all of these are better, your personal listening preferences would probably make more of a difference than what one person or another says. Best bet is to pick two, order both, and return one, unless you have a place to listen locally.

And definitely go with open. You will enjoy the bigger soundstage :)

May 10, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #4 of 5
ZMF v1 has a black background and effortlessly extended treble.

Otherwise, buy a used HD600 (only if you have a decent amp).

May 10, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #5 of 5
I have always found the older K501 to be a great vocal headphone.  As a fan of the K701 and  55ohm K240s... I can recommend those too.  Don't let the lower price point of the K240s scare you off its a really SOLID performing headphone for vocals.  Which is probably why its so successful as a studio monitor.
I was impressed with Mad Dogs too on a more recent demo, although they are closed and IMHO lack the soundstage and imaging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back