Best very portable active speakers or passive speakers + amp under $300?
Oct 6, 2012 at 7:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Stuff Jones

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for for 2.0 speakers I can move easily between rooms in the house and can also through in a suitcase when I travel.

Initially I though the Audioengine A2s would be ideal, but I've read a lot of negatives on them. However I have seen alternatives at that size. Any suggestions?

I also have a Musicstreamer II DAP I use to connect to a larger stereo, if that's a factor. 

Oct 6, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #2 of 6
A little over budget, but have you see the Emotiva Airmotiv4s? The Airmotivs have gotten a lot of positive testimonials lately.

However, they weigh about 10lbs a piece. Probably not the best for traveling. But then again, I would suspect good speakers will have a heavier duty cabinet (to reduce resonance and vibration). 

Oct 7, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #4 of 6
Hey my recommendation would be a pair of M-Audio BX-5 D2's. I picked them up off of Amazon for around $200, regularly priced for $400! They are fantastic speakers and not too heavy. They are powered speakers also. Link below.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=BX5+d2

Oct 7, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #5 of 6
They don't have too many reviews from regular folks and I have not tried them myself, but I'm gonna buy these or their Q models soon. A bunch of the pro folks like them and for me the regular woofer+ dome tweeter designs just won't do for the <$1000 mark. Don't expect too much bass out of the 5.25" woofer but its compact and comes with a carrying case. I personally am most interested in the coaxial build for many reasons.
http://www.equatoraudio.com/D5_Studio_Monitors_Isolation_Pads_Carrying_Case_p/d5-c.htm

Oct 7, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
Thanks Cel, I've seen them but like you said they're a little costly and a little too big.

Sorry. 

But you know one of the problems with the A2s is the small driver. Any lightweight, small monitor with a 2.75" driver will be challenged to produce a full range sound. This is why you won't find powered studio monitors with drivers that small. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back