best version of Soldier's Tale
Dec 14, 2002 at 12:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

kelly

Herr Babelfish der Übersetzer, he wore a whipped-cream-covered tutu for this title.
Has anyone heard different versions of Stravinsky's Soldier's Tale and can describe what they're like? I was supposed to get a free copy of Chesky to make good for an order screw-up, but they screwed that up too. I like Chesky's recordings but I don't think I'll be ordering from their web site again.

Luckily, their stuff is carried at amusicdirect.com and I almost went ahead and ordered the Chesky version, but noticed there's a Reference Recording one and a few others. I'm somewhat ignorant of conductors so any opinions here would be useful.

Dec 14, 2002 at 3:12 AM Post #2 of 6
Kelly,

I actually saw a performance of "The Soldier's Tale" a few years ago, done by a student orchestra at Princeton University. From what I remember it was really good.

Anyway, I took a look in my "Penguin Guide to Compact Disks," and they recommend, for the complete "Soldier's Tale"

1. Naxos 8.55366-2, D. Thomas, Soames, Keeble, & Instrumental Ensemble, Northern Chamber Orchestra, Nicholas Ward, conductor.

2. Chandos 9189, SNO, conducted by Jarvi.

For the Suite:

1. Vanguard 08.8013.71, Stokowski

You can also find the complete "Soldier's Tale" in Sony's "The Complete Stravinsky Edition (Sony SX22K 46290 (22). There was also a release called "The Original Jacket Edition: Igor Stravinsky," which compiled (in copies of the original jackets, hence the title), the records Stravinsky conducted of his own works for Columbia. This is the edition I own, and I love it. Overall the sound is good, and I like Stravinsky best as interpreter of his own works. The Naxos would be a good bet, not least due to its price.

Hope this helps.

Dec 14, 2002 at 8:17 PM Post #3 of 6
Hi, the best version of the Soldier's Tale was on ClassicFM at Hallowe'en a few years back. I forget the ensemble, but Christopher Lee was narrator, and it was awesome! I haven't seen this one for sale, but it's one to look out for. The Naxos one is OK too.
Andrew

Dec 15, 2002 at 6:47 PM Post #4 of 6
I couldn't find either the Classic FM version of the Complete Stravinsky Edition on either Amazon or amusicdirect.com. You guys have any idea where I could order?

Dec 15, 2002 at 11:06 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
I couldn't find either the Classic FM version of the Complete Stravinsky Edition on either Amazon or amusicdirect.com. You guys have any idea where I could order?

Try CD Universe or Tower Records. You can also try mdt, which is in England. They have very good prices, reasonable shipping, and a great selection.

Edit: I did a search on mdt for "Stravinsky" and "Soldier." In the results page, about 10 or so CDs came up.

Dec 19, 2002 at 3:04 AM Post #6 of 6
You should also take a look at Berkshire Record Outlet. I found the CBS Stravinksy set where he conducts his orchestral works for $35.91. It's #8 on the list. I've ordered numerous times from Berkshire--they sell cut-outs at great prices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back