Best Version of Ave Maria
Dec 27, 2005 at 4:48 AM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
Yoshikazu Mera -a Japanese counter tenor. His voice is simply amazing. The entire album is worth getting.

B00000DDLN.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Amazon has some short clips here which, of course, do not do justice to this incredible voice.

Wow, she has a stunning voice. Her voice is so familiar, was she the one who sung the theme song in Princes Mononoke?

Edit: Just find out is a he, not a she. He also sang the theme song to Princess Mononoke too

Dec 27, 2005 at 4:48 AM Post #18 of 24
If you don't mind instrumental, then the Liszt version for solo piano is fabulous!
k1000smile.gif

Dec 27, 2005 at 6:39 AM Post #20 of 24
On the DGG album with the Te Deum and Motets, Eugen Jochum recorded the "Ave Maria."

That is my favorite version, though that has more to do with Bruckner than the "Ave Maria."

Aug 14, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #21 of 24
Sorry to revive this very old thread, but I thought it would be better than starting a new one. I love this song, particularly with female vocals.

A version I particularly like is the Barbara Bonney rendition of the Schubert although it is sung in German (also this rendition). I've been racking my brains to remember a particular version I've heard years ago that stayed with me (sounds similar to the linked Barabara Bonney version) that was accompanied by a harp (I believe) that was just beautiful - if anyone can think of a rendition that fits (or any other outstanding versions in the classical style) I'd much appreciate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back