Best value?
Aug 15, 2009 at 10:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

TCM

New Head-Fier
Let's say I have approx. $1000 to spend on an amp/dac, what would be the best value?

Micro Amp + Ultra Micro DAC $932
Ultra Micro Amp + Micro DAC $932
Desktop Amp (with DAC) $999

Is it possible to say which upgrade from Micro -> Ultra Micro is the best: Amp or DAC?

Or maybe you have some other alternatives?
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 15, 2009 at 11:27 AM Post #2 of 8
Micro Amp + Ultra Micro DAC

The Micro Amp will have the same electronics as the Desktop Amp, but you'll have a better source. A better amp is only going to sound as good as the source feeding it. A good rule of order for upgrades is:

1. Headphones
2. Source
3. Amp

Aug 15, 2009 at 11:59 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Large4mat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Micro Amp + Ultra Micro DAC

The Micro Amp will have the same electronics as the Desktop Amp, but you'll have a better source. A better amp is only going to sound as good as the source feeding it. A good rule of order for upgrades is:

1. Headphones
2. Source
3. Amp

Thanks. The headphones are the HD650 right now. Thinking about the Denons (2000 or 5000) as well. The amp/dac will work together with my computer.

Aug 15, 2009 at 2:26 PM Post #4 of 8
I agree, get the best source you can first then look for the best amp you can afford. You may want to check the B-Stock inventory and see what is available, the savings are significant. Good luck.

Aug 15, 2009 at 2:32 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree, get the best source you can then the best amp. You may want to check the B-Stock inventory and see what is available, the savings are significant. Good luck.

I've been checking B-stock twice a day for almost a week, thanks for the reminder.
biggrin.gif

Aug 15, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by TCM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks. The headphones are the HD650 right now. Thinking about the Denons (2000 or 5000) as well. The amp/dac will work together with my computer.

Good choice. I own the Sennheiser HD-650's and Denon AH-D5000. I just recently purchased the Denons, and they are awesome with the HeadRoom Micro series..... Very Musical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back