Best value tube amp for Sennheiser HD800 under 2k
May 13, 2013 at 3:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

oceanwave1000

100+ Head-Fier
I recently purchased the Sennheiser HD800 and paired it up with my current Audio-Gd compass. The sound wasn't as great as I expected, something seemed lacking compared to my current HD650/Audio Gd Compass Dac/AMp. I need some help in deciding what to purchase in order to improve the quality of sound coming out of my system. I'm currently thinking about WA22/WA2/WA6 with Audio-Gd compasss for DAC. I want the best value tube amp for Sennheiser Hd800 under 2k hopefully, one where I would notice dramatic differences. 

Please advice. Any recommendations would be appreciated =)

May 13, 2013 at 6:55 AM Post #2 of 18
WA22 or WA2 are both great choices. the compass doesn't have balanced output does it? cause the WA22 requires balanced input or else you're better off buying WA6-SE.

May 13, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #3 of 18
I know some guys love tubes with the HD800, and i know your frustration that a solid state amp wasn't capable of driving them well .

Have you considered another brands? Vioelectric or Burson makes great amps that pair well with the HD800. 

May 16, 2013 at 8:54 AM Post #5 of 18
Try the EarMax Pro Silver Edition. Not bad at all.

May 18, 2013 at 4:19 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Don't you mean HP8? And isn't that a Euro only amp?

Yes, my stupid - blame my fat fingers on the touch screen.

Euro only? No idea - best you speak to Icon Audio - although I've no doubt you could just use a voltage converter if need be. And believe me, the HP8 is worth it - listening to it now, simply fabulous with classical (and everything else).

May 18, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:
Yes, my stupid - blame my fat fingers on the touch screen.

Euro only? No idea - best you speak to Icon Audio - although I've no doubt you could just use a voltage converter if need be. And believe me, the HP8 is worth it - listening to it now, simply fabulous with classical (and everything else).

It does seem like QUITE a nice amp! I'll have to look into this one myself.

May 19, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #14 of 18
On a somewhat related note, a stretch I know, but I loved my Auditor (exact same amp without crossfeed as Phonitor) with my 650s (I know, but it is a Senn). The Auditor/Phonitor provide lots of voltage and like SPL say, even when you push the amp, it stays in control and ontop of the drivers, at least to my ears. Zombie_X did a good review of the Auditor as have a few others around here. I will go back to a nice tube in the future, likely Woo, but for now the SS sound works just fine for me.

May 20, 2013 at 2:28 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:
I know some guys love tubes with the HD800, and i know your frustration that a solid state amp wasn't capable of driving them well .

Have you considered another brands? Vioelectric or Burson makes great amps that pair well with the HD800. 

Looking forward to my Vioelectric V181 coming up next month. Also heard a lot about how good it is with HiFiMan HE500 in balanced systems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back