Best value IEMs for work - source Android device (Max budget $1k)
Sep 24, 2014 at 2:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

st_clancy

Head-Fier
Originally I posted a similar thread in the full size cans forums, I mentioned IEMs and they said look here.  After further investigation with my potential setups I'm now thinking full size cans at work are going to be out of the question and here is why.

I work in a very secure environment at work, external storage devices hooked up to our desktops have their drivers disabled.  Basically no file transfer in/out which means I cannot connect my phone to my desktop, play music through a media play and then have an attached dac/amp to the PC, that is now out of the question (just found this out today).  So, without the option of a desktop/dedicated amp and seeing as portable amps still don't technically play nice with android devices yet (or do they).  I would consider a portable amp if I could have it setup such that my android device does not drain, nor does the amp/dac... meaning I'm all for having my phone connected to the dac and the dac also connected to a dc power source such as a wall outlet via cable (if this is possible), if not I'd prefer not to have the amp because as it is I can just have my phone charging whilst listening to music all day (my phone pretty much dies after 3-4 hours of use as it is).

So, I'm thinking my best option is to get some IEM's and just run them straight from my portable device (Currently Galaxy S3 will be the Note 4 in a couple of weeks).

I have a $1k budget, I have a gift card to Crutchfield, so all suggestions have to be from their stock (but not necessarily in stock).  I think I'd prefer not to use it all on the IEMs, maybe leave some wiggle room for an amp or a full size can in the future... who knows though, maybe just go big, like the IE800s.

Musical taste:
I like every genre save country (I do like some but I don't own any).  I've really been getting back into good guitar and vocal tracks, old and new.  Love dance/hip hop/trance/electronica/dubstep.  I'd say though I'll probably be jamming classical the most, just love me some good strings, especially violins.  

I think what I'm looking for most, albeit maybe ironically, is the widest sound stage and imagery produced.  Seems like a tall order when speaking about IEMs, then again I've never even heard any IEMs other than the ones you get from your portables... so junk.

I've owned/currently own ATH-a500 ATH-a700 and DT770 pro 80s.  I used to have but lost a portable iBasso amp back in the day.

Primary source (unless dac/amp combo that works as stated above):
Galaxy SIII, then upgraded to Galaxy Note 4.

Music: Mostly Flac, some 320bit rips.

From Crutchfield I've been looking into these:
Shure se215 $99
Klipsch R6i $99
Bowers & Wilkins C5 Series 2 - $179 (cant find anything on these guys, looks like a very new version/new driver)
Shure se315/425/535?  199/299/499
Sony XBA H3 - $349

Sennheiser IE800 - $799

Ok so the IE800s are the big outlier and Im pretty hyped about them, but, my wife wouldn't understand the investment.  That said it is a gift card and well if it really is worth it maybe I will take the plunge.

Edit: Sorry about posting here could a mod move this to the Recommendation forums, very sorry about this.

Sep 25, 2014 at 9:17 AM Post #2 of 7
I think I'm about to pull the trigger but just wanted to see if I could get an opinion or two.

1) Get the Sennheiser IE800 only.  Phone > IE800

2) Get a lesser IEM (or around the ear can) with portable amp.

1k budget, must be from crutchfield (gift card, so not over 1k either), can not use desktop as part of the setup for playing music through mobile device as USB storage drivers get disabled when plugged into them at my office as well as there is no way to get music or stream music from office desktops as those are all blocked.  The only thing I can use the PC for is USB charging.

Sep 25, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #3 of 7
  I think I'm about to pull the trigger but just wanted to see if I could get an opinion or two.

1) Get the Sennheiser IE800 only.  Phone > IE800

2) Get a lesser IEM (or around the ear can) with portable amp.

1k budget, must be from crutchfield (gift card, so not over 1k either), can not use desktop as part of the setup for playing music through mobile device as USB storage drivers get disabled when plugged into them at my office as well as there is no way to get music or stream music from office desktops as those are all blocked.  The only thing I can use the PC for is USB charging.

I assume you've looked at the reviews of the IE800? If I remember right, there were a number of complaints about the build. I shouldn't be saying anything because I haven't used it or even seen it, but I'd talk to some experienced Head-Fi'ers who have used it before purchasing anything with that high of a price tag.

Sep 25, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #4 of 7
Yes I did look at the reviews extensively here and all around the web which is why I included them as a choice.  Having said that your response kind of gave me second thoughts LOL (no worries though).  I didn't get too much feedback, so being my first IEM just to see if it's something I will invest in I ended up purchasing the Shure se215.  I figure it will be a good entry for the feel and sound of IEMs and if I want to invest some real money in them or just go with Over-Ear Closed back.  I didnt go that route because I haven't figured out a good/ amp setup in my office just yet as getting my music onto my desktop poses a problem.  The se215s will be here tomorrow though =).

Sep 25, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #5 of 7
  Yes I did look at the reviews extensively here and all around the web which is why I included them as a choice.  Having said that your response kind of gave me second thoughts LOL (no worries though).  I didn't get too much feedback, so being my first IEM just to see if it's something I will invest in I ended up purchasing the Shure se215.  I figure it will be a good entry for the feel and sound of IEMs and if I want to invest some real money in them or just go with Over-Ear Closed back.  I didnt go that route because I haven't figured out a good/ amp setup in my office just yet as getting my music onto my desktop poses a problem.  The se215s will be here tomorrow though =).

I didn't mean to stop you from purchasing them, I apologize for that, I myself am just a little paranoid of not talking to a good amount of people before purchasing anything with that high of a price. I'm also looking for my first set of IEMs (looking at the SE215s as well) and I'm looking for good soundstage and imaging like you were. Good luck with yours, I hope they work out well! 

Sep 25, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #6 of 7
  I didn't mean to stop you from purchasing them, I apologize for that, I myself am just a little paranoid of not talking to a good amount of people before purchasing anything with that high of a price. I'm also looking for my first set of IEMs (looking at the SE215s as well) and I'm looking for good soundstage and imaging like you were. Good luck with yours, I hope they work out well! 

No worries, I needed someone to tip me over the edge to get them as a first IEM anyways... or bring me back to reality and give an entry level IEM a try before going all in.  Looking forward to start breaking these in tomorrow, let you know my impressions as another fellow firsty.

Sep 25, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #7 of 7
  No worries, I needed someone to tip me over the edge to get them as a first IEM anyways... or bring me back to reality and give an entry level IEM a try before going all in.  Looking forward to start breaking these in tomorrow, let you know my impressions as another fellow firsty.

Awesome, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back