Best value High-End setup for 2016 ?
Feb 22, 2016 at 12:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

LeMat

100+ Head-Fier
Head-fier for a quite a while now, I'm thinking upgrading my setup to some reference class components, a sort of "set it and forget it" system... While head-fi is a lot about trying new stuff, tweaking, improving,.. I'd like to go the opposite route, finding something more permanent. Looking for the best value DAC/AMP combo. Budget is not the primary concern. Value is. Nobody wants to be ripped-off with crazy expensive snake oil stuff . Instead, I think it's important to get the most per dollar spent.
Right now I have a M51 Dac with a Beta 22, single ended. I'm using the latest LCD2 but I don't want the discussion to get into the headphones topic since from my experience, it's a highly personal choice. Sound is pretty good but I feel I can get a good notch better than this.
What would be your best pick for 2016 ? Auralic Taurus & Vega ? Simaudio Moon 430 ? Ayre Codex ? McIntosh MHA100 ? DNA Stratus & some other DAC ?
Thanks for your input !

Feb 22, 2016 at 8:40 PM Post #2 of 26
If you no longer need a remote with your DAC, try the Schiit Yggdrasil (slightly clearer) or Gungnir 2 Multibit (or gumby, which is slightly smoother) with your LCD-2 and Beta 22.

Feb 22, 2016 at 8:57 PM Post #3 of 26
Thanks for the suggestion ! One thing I should have mentioned is that I will certainly get a different amp, just for the sake of going "balanced". Being the DAC or the amp, I'll need a remote since I'll be powering my monitors with the system (Focal Solo6). 

Feb 22, 2016 at 9:03 PM Post #4 of 26
I am really satisfied with my headphone set up right now.
I have this combination since late June 2015 and have no intention to change anything

Marantz SA11S3 --> AntiCable XLR(Neutrik) --> GSX-Mk2 (DACT)
--> Norne Vanquish dual 3pin XLR(Neutrik) -->HD800 orig. (no mod) ... but then mine doesn't have any treble spike
rolleyes.gif

900x900px-LL-947f3ccf_HD80026xxx.jpeg

Feb 22, 2016 at 9:19 PM Post #5 of 26
Thanks for the suggestion ! One thing I should have mentioned is that I will certainly get a different amp, just for the sake of going "balanced". Being the DAC or the amp, I'll need a remote since I'll be powering my monitors with the system (Focal Solo6). 

Then keep the M51, LCD-2, and Solo 6 to connect all of them to the Schiit Ragnarok with Lo-Med-Hi gain and speaker taps. :)

Feb 22, 2016 at 10:15 PM Post #6 of 26
Best value setup is in my opinion the Chord Hugo (no additional amplifier) --> HD 800 S or HEX (depends on user preference which one is best for you). 

There are better setups no doubt but I don't think the price / performance ratio are as good like this setup. 

Feb 23, 2016 at 2:54 AM Post #7 of 26
Best value setup is in my opinion the Chord Hugo (no additional amplifier) --> HD 800 S or HEX (depends on user preference which one is best for you). 

There are better setups no doubt but I don't think the price / performance ratio are as good like this setup. 

Do you use your hd800/s with Hugo directly or out of your Taurus?

Feb 23, 2016 at 3:10 AM Post #8 of 26
Feb 23, 2016 at 1:22 PM Post #10 of 26
I was aware of the Hugo, this is one did make quite some fuss when it has been released ! Not cheap considering the size but I like the fact it can be used either "on the go" or as a desktop DAC. Combined with a Taurus, it might indeed sounds pretty good. Any idea how it would compare to a M51 ? Does the Hugo TT worth the extra $ ? I'm usually a bit reluctant when it comes to DAC/AMP combo....

I didn't know the Yggdrasil and from what I've read here and there, it's a damn good piece of gear and certainly worth consideration ! Would the Ragnarok be a good match or is it not really up to the level of this DAC ? I don't really need the speakers output features (unless I tweak and turn my Solo 6 into a passive speaker which could be an interesting experience).

Feb 23, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #11 of 26
  I was aware of the Hugo, this is one did make quite some fuss when it has been released ! Not cheap considering the size but I like the fact it can be used either "on the go" or as a desktop DAC. Combined with a Taurus, it might indeed sounds pretty good. Any idea how it would compare to a M51 ? Does the Hugo TT worth the extra $ ? I'm usually a bit reluctant when it comes to DAC/AMP combo....

I didn't know the Yggdrasil and from what I've read here and there, it's a damn good piece of gear and certainly worth consideration ! Would the Ragnarok be a good match or is it not really up to the level of this DAC ? I don't really need the speakers output features (unless I tweak and turn my Solo 6 into a passive speaker which could be an interesting experience).

I definitely like my Hugo for this versatility.  However I have found separate amp + DAC to be better IMHO.  And if you don't really need the portability of the Hugo, I would recommend you consider some other DACs as there are competitive ones around the same price range including the Yggdrasil you mentioned.  Personally, I would be looking at the following:

Mytek Brooklyn
Lampizator Euphoria or Amber:  If you can live with upsampling PCM via HQplayer/Jriver to DSD, the Euphoria is great deal.  With DSD, its just magic.
One of the Shiit Audio R2R DACs

If you want to move to the 4k-5k Range:
Lampizator Lite 7
Berekley Audio Design
Hugo TT
and bunch others I can't think of at the moment

Feb 23, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #12 of 26

Really, the only drawbacks from a Yggy/Ragy Schiit stack are the size dimensions (each component is huge, so check for space) and price. With the Yggy connected to the Ragy, I have tried the balanced section with a HD800 and LCD-X and unbalanced section with an HE-4, all on Hi-Gain (I think) and power, spaciousness, and instrument sensitivity is phenomenal, bringing out all of the distinguishable sound qualities of each sound signature.

Now I did not try the speaker tap section, so read up on that a little more, but it probably matches the balanced/unbalanced sections very well. If you don't need the speaker taps, the Mjolnir 2 with also work very well, with both balanced and unbalanced sections having Lo-Hi gain and switchable solid-state and SS-Tube hybrid amp settings.

Feb 24, 2016 at 6:46 AM Post #13 of 26
I had an m51 which I replaced with a v850 feeding a v281. The Violectric stack is top notch and, touch wood, my upgradeitus has been remedied for the time being...

Feb 24, 2016 at 7:47 AM Post #14 of 26
Hey LeMat interesting thread. I feel it the same to get something adult final but not for cosmic price. I had LCD2 older version in past and I used it with unknown quality DAC out of his preamp and I have to say LCD2 sounded very nice universal with quality clear system, even I didn't think about buying separate amp for them because I was satisified. What I wanted say is I liked LCD2 a lot but definitely their potentiality is limited due to their character and in my opinion the most important for them is clear energetic system.
So I think better idea would be upgrade try more headphones at least LCDX which is more open, if you like Audeze like me..

If I had money :D I would look at Meitner MA1 demo peice which can be seen sometimes for much much nicer price or unknown GredAudio pDAC-2 which looks phenomenal for around 3000euro and many others as Crashem said..  

Feb 24, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #15 of 26

I have the same Focal studio monitors connected to a Yggdrasil DAC - Pretty awesome combination IMO!
In fact, they are so good together that I've pretty much given up on headphone listening...  (I know, I should be banished from these forums... Lol).

For volume attenuation I use the Emotiva Control Freak "Balanced" - passive volume control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back