best value for money portable headphones
Aug 15, 2008 at 10:53 PM Post #31 of 42
I agree when I have my philosopher's cap on, but precision is often impossible in my field: experimental social psychology. You know..."on average variable X predicts variable Y..." *sigh* If only psychology were like physics. What do you do?

Aug 16, 2008 at 12:29 AM Post #32 of 42
I got Sennheiser CX500 through B&H Photo for $58, and i'm very happy with them. Previously I was using Senheiser MX500s (around $30) and they're great, too, but don't go into your ear canal.

My suggestion is to Google something like "best headphones" and various searches like that, and look around. There are lots of reviews out there, and that would help you a lot.

Aug 16, 2008 at 1:34 AM Post #33 of 42
Googling best headphones, eh...That might get you the most popular headphones among the masses. But searching in Head-Fi will get you what some would consider more informed opinions. And no one will here will tell you what the "best" headphones are.

Aug 16, 2008 at 1:50 AM Post #34 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by kalibahlu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My suggestion is to Google something like "best headphones" and various searches like that, and look around. There are lots of reviews out there, and that would help you a lot.

I mean no disrespect, but that's horrible advise. At best, a google search could help him find other reviews once he's picked out a few finalists. Other than that, at best, it would lead him here.

Aug 16, 2008 at 1:52 AM Post #35 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree when I have my philosopher's cap on, but precision is often impossible in my field: experimental social psychology. You know..."on average variable X predicts variable Y..." *sigh* If only psychology were like physics. What do you do?

I'm finishing up medical school at John's Hopkins. This being such a massive research facility, we rely solely on objective data and specifics. However, in your field, I completely understand. Cheers.

Aug 16, 2008 at 2:06 AM Post #36 of 42
Well...even in medicine, not everything works all the time for everyone. Certain drugs are statistically significantly more effective on some subpopulations than in others, e.g., on "Blacks" than on "Whites." But "Black" and "White" are both fuzzy categories. In fact, medical science is as imprecise as psychological science, really. Precision in the biological sciences is the Holy Grail. We can't even define species in nonproblematic ways, let alone people groups and diseases (e.g., What's schizophrenia?)/ Physicists and chemists...now they have it easy. But we're off topic, of course. Back to audiophilia...

Aug 16, 2008 at 2:16 AM Post #37 of 42
jonathan, did you mean to say armature and dynamic by IEM and canalphone? Just wondering.

Aug 16, 2008 at 2:21 AM Post #38 of 42
IEM that goes deep in the ear and canalphones that sit on the canal of the ear.

Aug 16, 2008 at 2:23 AM Post #39 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by st4r0c3an /img/forum/go_quote.gif
jonathan, did you mean to say armature and dynamic by IEM and canalphone? Just wondering.

You'll get better bass from a dedicated armature, assuming you can create a good seal, then you ever will with an earbud dynamic driver.

Aug 16, 2008 at 2:31 AM Post #40 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by st4r0c3an /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Nope. I meant what ljcii said and what DARKHAVEN clarified earlier. IEMs go deeper. IEMs and canalphones are not natural kinds, is the point DARKHAVEN rightly made (earlier).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back