Best Value DAC for a First Timer, must have Digital In (TOSLink)
Feb 17, 2014 at 6:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

HyeVltg3

New Head-Fier
I've been running around everywhere looking for something that appeases my need for a Device that can convert my Optical / toslink audio setup to analog, with clarity in mind.
I have everything very close together in my little Man-Cave and my First purchase was a Sound Card (Creative Recon3D) for the fact that it had a Digital In input.
I was getting horrible audio with it and reading online I read of many similar gripes with that Sound Card, So I upgraded to the newest Sound Blaster ZxR, plopped down a decent amount (IMO) as I was going with; Costs More = Better Quality.

I was sorely mistaken, audio coming from any Optical source sounds distorted and sounds like it carries reverb.

Looking online I landed on the idea of DACs and this really is all I really need to complete my Audio setup.

I know a lot about computers but I know bubkis about Audiophile components.

So I preach to thee Head-Fi-ers for help on finding a affordable DAC for simple but lossless Optical to Analog Audio.
I cant afford anything too fancy as I'm stuck with this "fancy" sound card and have passed the date of returns with the hunt of how to fix the distorted audio, I've given up now I just need an alternative.

the DAC should contain:

- USB or AC powered
- Digital In  (Is it possible to have 2 Digital Ins like some AVRs)
- I dont think Size matters, I was looking at AVRs a little while ago...

Thank You.

Please help, I'm tired of wasting money blindly following brand names.
DACs come in too many flavors I have no idea which to pick; Audioengine, NuForce, O2, UDAC, Behringer..etc

As I cant return the sound card, I've put it up for sale, hence why I'm not just looking for a Digital to Analog Converter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back