Best use of $1000 for home setup?
Nov 23, 2005 at 3:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

iScream

100+ Head-Fier
If you had a budget of $1000 to spend on a home setup, how would you divide it up?

I would like to build the nicest source setup I can for my budget. I expect to mostly listen to CD's, but MP3 playback would be nice, as would DVD Audio and SACD. I'll be using the equipment at my desk so I have a computer available if that helps. My soundcard is an Audigy2 ZS, but I would have no issue with replacing/bypassing it. I bought a Total Bithead with my headphones but I wouldn't really object to sending it back to Headroom in exchange for one of their higher end products. I don't intend to use it at home anyway...

I don't know if music choice matters for source components but I will primarily be listening to classical, blues, jazz and new age kinda stuff, but I do listen to some rock at times. I'm listening to Holly Cole Trio as I type this.

I just bought a set of AKG 271s and I like them a lot so I think I'm covered on the headphones for now.

So, to start, should I even be thinking about using the CD/DVD player in my PC or should I look at a good standalone player? What would you all do overall?

Thanks!

-Chris

Nov 23, 2005 at 3:53 AM Post #2 of 11
Upgrade the Airhead or sell it and get a Hornet: $200
HD600: $250 (new)
Blue Dragon V2 Cable: $150

Use the remaining $300-400 on a decent used CDP or a new Onix.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 23, 2005 at 4:23 AM Post #3 of 11
Thanks for the reply. I should mention that I plan to keep my current headphones for now. I know an open can is supposed to provide better sound quality but I need the isolation for working. Basically, this system will be used 80 percent of the time while I'm working but 20 percent of the time for just listening. I may end up getting some nicer headphones later for that 20 percent, but I would like to concentrate on my source chain for now.

-Chris

Nov 23, 2005 at 4:39 AM Post #4 of 11
I think appliebook's set uuuuuuup is good, but you may also want to consider something like the Micro Stack (Micro Amp (Desktop Module) and Micro DAC) so that you can use it with your computer and perhaps a nice stationary source or something like a more music oriented computer sound card

Nov 23, 2005 at 4:49 AM Post #6 of 11
Agreed, if you like your headphones, and want mp3s, and have a computer, your best bet will probably be a micro stack, or microdac and amp of your choice. That will also allow you to use other digital sources (your dvd player for dvd audio for example) as you see fit, for no additional cost
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 23, 2005 at 5:04 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by iScream
If you had a budget of $1000 to spend on a home setup, how would you divide it up?

Pretty evenly myself... ~$300 for headphones, $300 for an amp and $400 or so for a source.

Nov 23, 2005 at 6:49 AM Post #8 of 11
I'm about to do the same thing and after reading tons of reviews and rec's I've pretty much decided on the Headroom Micro Stack and some AKG701s. I'll use the mac for cds/mp3 via the optical out.

Nov 23, 2005 at 2:33 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by jc_lbc
I'm about to do the same thing and after reading tons of reviews and rec's I've pretty much decided on the Headroom Micro Stack and some AKG701s. I'll use the mac for cds/mp3 via the optical out.

I would suggest using the USB out/in instead, as you don't have to worry about jitter or tweaking to get the proper sample rate for bit-perfect. No need for extra drivers, works very simply.

Nov 24, 2005 at 4:59 AM Post #10 of 11
Thanks to all of you for the feedback. I'm just not sure what I want to do though...

-Chris

Nov 24, 2005 at 2:50 PM Post #11 of 11
Given that setup, I'd recommend the following:

Trade up your Bithead for a Micro Stack...trust me, you're going to love it. That will give you a nice platform for computer listening.

Pick up a reasonably priced universal player for SACD and DVD-A listening. I'd think that one of the lower-priced Marantz universal players would get you in at around $1000 (or just a bit more) for the whole package.

All that, in concert with your K271S, will make a nice desktop rig with some transportability if needed. Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back