Best USB implementation?
Feb 13, 2013 at 2:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

FraGGleR

Headphoneus Supremus
I know outboard USB to spdif converters are all the rage right now, but I am trying to find single box solution for a USB based DAC.  I also like 24/192 capabilities.  The more compact the better, but that isn't as important.  Up to $1000, but would prefer closer to $500.

So what DAC has done USB "right" and doesn't need an external converter to get the most out of the DAC?  

Feb 13, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:
I know outboard USB to spdif converters are all the rage right now, but I am trying to find single box solution for a USB based DAC.  I also like 24/192 capabilities.  The more compact the better, but that isn't as important.  Up to $1000, but would prefer closer to $500.

So what DAC has done USB "right" and doesn't need an external converter to get the most out of the DAC?  

The ODAC is your best bet, for the price, but it doesn't do 192kHz. The difference between 96kHz and 192kHz is completely inaudible to humans, so the lack of that marketing-driven feature is irrelevant.

Feb 13, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

The ODAC is your best bet, for the price, but it doesn't do 192kHz. The difference between 96kHz and 192kHz is completely inaudible to humans, so the lack of that marketing-driven feature is irrelevant.

I agree the ODAC is fantastic, especially for the money, but I have upgraded my amp and my headphones and wanted to see if there was a nice step up from it.  As for 96 vs 192, I have read the paper that says 192 can actually sound worse.  However, I'd like the ability to play back any music I acquire without conversion (just a preference I have, regardless of the science or logic).  Foobar has a double blind plug in that I want to use to see if I can hear differences.

Feb 13, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
Quote:

I agree the ODAC is fantastic, especially for the money, but I have upgraded my amp and my headphones and wanted to see if there was a nice step up from it.  As for 96 vs 192, I have read the paper that says 192 can actually sound worse.
[...]

You bring up an excellent point. With a poor implementation, bad ideas, good ideas, and great ideas fail regardless of theory.

Feb 14, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #6 of 6
I'm personally getting the concero for $600, I can't recommend it since i do'nt have it yet. But a few trusted head fiers have it, Project86 did a full review, someone I trust, and it rivals just about anything in the sub $1k market. It's not for everyone tho, not a ton of features, but if you solely want usb, then I would take a look. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back